Virtual DME

cbailey

Hello brain trust,

Hopefully someone has an answer for this. I have HDX 1100 with AIRNC 429, and Avidyne 440. so far the only thing I cannot get working is Virtual DME when Nav is selected. Course deviation works perfect, in the green box it shows VOR frequency but no ID or virtual DME. I thought something wasn’t configured correctly until I flew I a friends RV10. Same exact indications as my configuration. The only difference is a GNX650 installed. By the way, because I know someone will ask, ID is active on both units and displaying the correct station ID in the frequency box.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Danerazz

Is yours in a certified installation? The “virtual DME” is not authorized in certified. Otherwise, there should be a setting to enable it.

Attachments

• IMG_0762.jpeg
    IMG_0762.jpeg
    271.6 KB · Views: 21

cbailey

I guess I should have been even more clearer, experimental. Agreed there should be a setting to enable it. I have read and re-read the manuals and cannot find anything.

Rhino

"Devices that are connected via ARINC-429 (via the SkyView SV-ARINC-429 ARINC429 interface module), such as the Garmin 430 and the Garmin GTN series, do not decode identifiers, and thus SkyView cannot calculate Virtual-DME for those radios."

Page 4-21 of the Pilot Guide.

Danerazz

“Some third-party devices that are connected via the SV-ARINC-429 interface module do not decode identifiers, and thus SkyView cannot calculate Virtual-DME for those radios.” (4-22, manual version “N”)

I can’t find anything that specifically says GTN/GNS won’t decode, nor AIRINC-429 is wholly exclusionary.

cbailey

"Devices that are connected via ARINC-429 (via the SkyView SV-ARINC-429 ARINC429 interface module), such as the Garmin 430 and the Garmin GTN series, do not decode identifiers, and thus SkyView cannot calculate Virtual-DME for those radios."

Page 4-21 of the Pilot Guide.
Thank you Rhino. I read that note, but no where do the manuals or third party devices document tell users which devices do or do not. Dynon needs to include a matrix of what features each third party units provide to Dynon Skyview. But you would think that the biggest selling units (Garmin and Avidyne) would be fully supported.

Rhino

I don't think Dynon could do that because it isn't their responsibility to keep up with what other devices decode identifiers. The most they could do is provide information on what is known to work, and known to not work, mainly through anecdotal reports they couldn't verify. But even if they did that, the other manufacturers could change their equipment at any time, and render any such list obsolete. The best you could probably hope for is having a thread created here with a list that users could update based on their own experiences.