Voice alert volume lower than AOA beep volume

Bill_H

I love flying!
I am troubleshooting a variety of voice/intercom/headset issues with my RV-12 one-screen Skyview system. One question that will help me begin on several of them... My Skyview volume is set at 85. The AOA beeping sound is just right in my headset. Garmin Radio and sidetone are fine, all are connected through a flightcom intercom and pilot-passenger communication is fine. But The other Skyview voice alerts are barely audible at all. How can this be? The AOA and voice come out of the same "wire" already mixed on the Skyview harness - correct? I will soon be doing the annual and all the wiring will be available for extended troubleshooting. Thanks!

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We're stumped too! They all come out of the same place on SkyView and you don't get to adjust the volumes independently.

When you are in the SkyView audio menu and adjusting volume, it should be saying "Dynon SkyView" every now and then. Is the volume of this OK?

Bill_H

I love flying!
No, the volume of that voice is fainter and a bit scratchy compared to the AOA signal generated in flight. I thought it possible that the signals were separate and going through 2 different adjustment pots in the interface box supplied by Vans. In another week I will be able to do better detailed troubleshooting. I also suspect a loose connection - the wires were crimped not soldered. So, probably more questions later.

Bill_H

I love flying!
Just to clarify, turning down the Skyview volume DOES lower the AOA volume. It is just that the voice alerts are always very faint regardless of the SV volume setting (unlike the AOA beeping which can be raised to nice and loud) .

GalinHdz

I am troubleshooting a variety of voice/intercom/headset issues with my RV-12 one-screen Skyview system. One question that will help me begin on several of them... My Skyview volume is set at 85. The AOA beeping sound is just right in my headset. Garmin Radio and sidetone are fine, all are connected through a flightcom intercom and pilot-passenger communication is fine. But The other Skyview voice alerts are barely audible at all. How can this be? The AOA and voice come out of the same "wire"  already mixed on the Skyview harness - correct? I will soon be doing the annual and all the wiring will be available for extended troubleshooting. Thanks!

Have you connected the Skyview audio in parallel with the other audio sources? If so then the Skyview audio will be very low compared to the others. Don't ask how I know this. But it still doesn't explain why the AOA from the Skyview seems OK.  :cool:

dgamble

I love flying!
No, the volume of that voice is fainter and a bit scratchy compared to the AOA signal generated in flight. I thought it possible that the signals were separate and going through 2 different adjustment pots in the interface box supplied by Vans. In another week I will be able to do better detailed troubleshooting. I also suspect a loose connection - the wires were crimped not soldered. So, probably more questions later.
I have an identical problem.  Looking at the Skyview install guide, it states that the audio ground on pin 30 of the 37 pin connector should be directly connected to the audio ground of the intercom.  According to the Vans RV12 wiring diagram, it is not. In fact, it is connected to nothing. Could this cause weak and/or staticky voice alerts?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Not using this pin would cause background noise, all the time. I won't lead to weak audio alerts. The noise will only happen in some installs- it is quite possible to have a quiet, clean install without using this pin.