VP-X Channel Fault ?

704ch

I love flying!
What does "VP-X Channel Fault" exactly mean?

On Takeoff roll on my 3rd flight, my Skyview yelled "Engine Monitor" as an audio Alert. I aborted takeoff and found a VP-X Fault as well. Looking in the user guide this indicates a VP-X Channel fault. The funny thing is that it had corrected itself by the time I taxied off the runway, however, I consider this an issue until I understand why it happened, and what it actually meant.

Thx

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
That's a question for Vertical Power. We just report what they tell us to, and they are telling us one of the channels has a fault.

jakej

704ch

You need to connect your laptop to the Vp-X to see the specific fault. Hope it is simple however, FWIW, I've never seen a fault with the VP units - a report back would be helpful ;)

Jake J

704ch

I love flying!
Dynon Support,

I am following up with VerticalPower as well.   

Maybe it will be more clear if I ask, what exact counditions cause these two exact alarms to occur on Skyview:

Aural alarm said "Engine Monitor"
Red Warning alarm, when button was pushed indicated "VP-X Fault"

I am not talking about pressures and temps etc because they have their own aural alarms.  "Engine Monitor" aural alarm must mean certain conditions.

Also, After I was off the runway I found no actual fault on the VP-X Screen existed.

VP-X is troubleshooting on their side.

Thanks

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So the "Engine Monitor" fires when an engine gauge or parameter that doesn't have a specific alert (like oil pressure) exceeds its redline value. It would be indicated visually on the Engine Page if the condition persists. The VP-X fault message should be accompanied by the fault flag on the vp-x page, as well as a channel-specific fault if it's related to that (there may be other generic fault conditions that willl cause the vp-x to throw the fault alert. I can't speak to that)

704ch

I love flying!
In your Example, doesn't "Oil Pressure" have its own aural Alarm? According to the Skyview User guide, the below items have their own aural alarms:

Oil Pressure, Fuel Pressure, Fuel Flow, Fuel Quantity, Electrical Current, Voltage, Exhaust Gas Temp, Cylinder Head Temp, Engine Speed

Or does this mean they "can" have their own alarms if configured. If I don't set any alarms and any of the above items hit a redline, then it will revert to saying "Engine Monitor"?

If this is the case I will go through and look at my alerts. Possibly I have a redline value on one of my items set too low, but no specific alert set up.

Thanks for the help

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
I made that as clear as mud, didn't I? :)

So what I meant was that "engine monitor" is what you hear when something that doesn't have a specific voice alert fires. Oil Pressure is one that does have a specific alert (I meant that parenthetical in the reverse way than it reads).

Even when you hear the generic "engine monitor" alert, though, the message text should be more specifc.

In your case, the VP-X is the thing throwing the alert. As for why, if it's a channel fault, it will be reflected in the list. The VP-X may be able to throw alerts for other reasons that we don't get more information about. In other words, if it sends a "fault", we display the fault flag, throw up the message you saw, and fire the generic audio message.

704ch

I love flying!
Hi Dynon Support,

I got a definitive answer to my problem and raises some issues you may want to know about. Problem was that my alternator was not sending current. VP-X Sends an alarm and Skyview reports that as "engine monitor". This alarm is only triggered when airspeed is energized which is why it came on during takeoff roll and shut off when I slowed down to exit the runway.

First concern: Takeoff roll is possibly not the best time to be seeing red alarms going activated as airspeed becomes energized. Can I manually change this alarm to activate regardless of airspeed?

Second, what other alarms might trigger based on energized airspeed? I didn't find this one documented anywhere, is there any futher documentation available on this item or that I missed?

Also, Maybe this alarm is a good candidate for a more specific voice alert, like "Electrical Current" or something similar.

Thanks for the help on this one. The main point is that everything worked as designed, so I have no issues with my systems. Only question is about the alarms definitions and timing on Takeoff roll due to airspeed requirements.

Thanks !

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Pretty sure it's Vertical Power that triggers that alert with airspeed (They get airspeed from us). So they need to change that behavior, not us.

We don't block any of our alerts on the ground. We only block some of our alerts when the engine is not running (oil pressure zero AND RPM zero AND airspeed zero) in order to not annoy you on alerts that are expected with the engine is not spinning (like electrical current).

mmarien

Murray M.
If you are using the ammeter shunt (Position B or C) you could put an alarm on the AMPS gauge and then make a red range 0-1. The range can be hidden by setting the display limits from 1 to the upper limit. This will create an alarm when the engine is running and the AMPS are 1 or less before you taxi. Skyview draws a couple of amps so the alternator would have to be outputting more than one amp after start.

If you are using position A for the ammeter shunt the red range would have to be a negative range not including zero.