What do HS34 Outputs provide?

PhantomPholly

Sorry if I've asked anything here that is in the installation manual; I HAVE read it all the way through but may have missed the answers.

I have a D180; HS34; GNS 480 (Primary Nav); and a 496 handheld.

All 3 pairs of ARINC connectors are connected to the 480
HS34 ARINC Rx 1 = 480 GPS
HS34 ARINC Rx 2 = 480 Nav
HS34 ARINC Tx 1 = 480 ???

Question: What function(s), if anything, does this third connection provide?

HS34 Serial #1 is dedicated to Dynon updates.

Question: For future expansion, can the HS34 Serial #1 be split and used for other functions in flight (when I'm not using the serial cable for software updates)?

HS34 Serial #2 Rx = 496 GPS
HS34 Serial #2 Tx = 496 ???

Question: What function(s), if anything, might this second connection provide? For this last case, my alternative would be to leave the HS34 #2 Tx open and feed the GNS 480 Tx into the 496 Rx for flight path cross-fill, but I have no idea how much useful data beyond the current leg actually will move from the 480 to the 496.

Anyone have recommendations here?

Thanks!

Brantel

Not 100% sure but I think the answer to your first question will be that that connection is required to set the course back to the 480.

Answer to # 2 is yes according to the latest install manual for the D180 back in the apendix c. for the HS34.

Also a little further down, they show a typical connection to a 480. The 480 must be different in how it handles the GPS vs the NAV stuff on ARINC because they do not show separate GPS and NAV ARINC connections.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The ARINC tx is how we send things like course back to the 480 (though we haven't tested the 480 ourselves, so you may need to do some experimenting to see if this adds anything. Here's some tentative data we were able to compile: http://wiki.dynonavionics.com/Garmin_480_Wiring . Please update the wiki page if you learn anything more. Also, here's the full list of what we currently transmit over ARINC: http://wiki.dynonavionics.com/Generic_ARINC-429_Wiring

Some devices, like the SL30, use both directions of the serial port. With a 496 though, it's listen-only though. Each serial port tx/rx pair is thought of as a single "device", so you generally wouldn't mix/match different devices on one of our serial ports.

Also, note that the HS34 does not pass along serial data between ports except in special cases (frequency passthrough from an x96 to an SL30 is supported, but that's it).

So basically, you'll get more from cross-connecting the 496 and 480 serials directly as you suggest than you would from passing them through the HS34.

PhantomPholly

The ARINC tx is how we send things like course back to the 480 (though we haven't tested the 480 ourselves, so you may need to do some experimenting to see if this adds anything. Here's some tentative data we were able to compile: http://wiki.dynonavionics.com/Garmin_480_Wiring . Please update the wiki page if you learn anything more. Also, here's the full list of what we currently transmit over ARINC: http://wiki.dynonavionics.com/Generic_ARINC-429_Wiring

Some devices, like the SL30, use both directions of the serial port. With a 496 though, it's listen-only though. Each serial port tx/rx pair is thought of as a single "device", so you generally wouldn't mix/match different devices on one of our serial ports.

Also, note that the HS34 does not pass along serial data between ports except in special cases (frequency passthrough from an x96 to an SL30 is supported, but that's it).

So basically, you'll get more from cross-connecting the 496 and 480 serials directly as you suggest than you would from passing them through the HS34.

Thanks for the reply. I always update the Wiki when I'm sure of something - notice the nice table I made out of information that was previously on that page? :cool: But in this case I wasn't sure so was hoping you had answers before I started experimenting.

Ok then to summarize:

HS34 ARINC Tx feeds course info to the 480, which may or may not use it.

HS34 Serial #1 is available for in-flight use.

HS34 Serial Tx might not do anything useful, so it is probably better to feed the GNS 480 Serial Tx into the 496 Rx.

Thanks all, I'll provide updates once I actually get airborne and get to play around more.

Brantel

Question for Dynon Support and related to the X96 recieve connection from the HS34 transmit line.

Will the HS34 rotate the course on the X96 when it is in OBS & Hold mode similar to the 430? If so, this may be one reason to connect it.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
It won't update the course on the X96. There's no support for this in the X96. Even on the 430 we can only do this over ARINC-429.

PhantomPholly

Update - GNS 480 / D180 / HS34

Spent several futile hours yesterday trying to get my Dynon to display ANYTHING from the GNS 480. I have the two Garmin ARINC output pairs connected to the two Dynon HS34 Input pairs as shown in this table (ignore the last two pairs, I did not connect them).

The possible settings for ARINC output from the GNS 480 include
- ARINC 429
- 429 NO FP
- ARINC 7?? (I think it was 786?)
- VOR/ILS

Each setting had choices for Speed of High / Low.

As confirmation that the HS34 is correctly connected to my D180, I also have my serial line from my Garmin 496 connected to the HS34. When that option is selected, I see the HSI with the course line if a Direct To is active.

Since I had both ARINC wire pairs hooked to the HS34, I tried the quickest way I could think of to confirm WHICH settings would talk to each other - I selected one format on both ARINC 1 & 2, but set one speed to "High" and one to "Low." Selecting Nav 1 or Nav 2 both resulted in the same thing on the D180 HSI - "Waiting for course information."

When the setup on the 480 is changed, does the HS34 need to have the power cycled to auto-detect the new setting, or should it just continually keep auto-detecting until it gets a "lock" on the data stream?

Thanks,

Bill

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The HS34 shouldn't have to be recycled - it is constantly looking for ARINC429 data if the ARINC ports are set up on the HS34 side. It never hurts to fully cycle the Dynons though after changing things - and it only takes a few seconds. The 480 might need to be cycled though, can't really speak to that. Here's an old thread from a while ago (which it looks like you were in on) that speaks to another 480/HS34 customer's configuration. It basically looks like our table, with the two ARINC receive ports reversed (that shouldn't matter).

On the 480 side, one of the ARINC 429 settings should be the one that yields results. The others definitely will not.

Either High or Low should work, as long as both the HS34 and the 480 are set the same.

PhantomPholly

Update:

I've learned that I have out-of-date software on my GNS 480 - that may be why the HS34 is not picking it up.  Release of Version 2.3 is imminent, so I will wait for a bit.  In the mean time, I successfully display HSI information from the GNS 480 on Serial line 1 (GPS data only, no VOR/ILS data) and from the 496 on Serial line 2.

After lengthy dialog with a helpful Garmin field tech, my current wiring setup looks like this Excel spreadsheet.  I can't verify the ARINC connections until I get the software update (which is also adding vertical guidance to the output stream).

Once I verify the setup I will post the results to the Wiki.

petehowell

Phantom - will be installing a 480 soon and would like to correspond. can you send me an email? trackker.ant( at ) gmail.com

flyer2377

Bill the HS34 works with the 480. I have software ver 2.10 set the speed on 480 and hs34 to low set 480 output to 429 no FP. Only problem I have had is a jittery CDI. The 2.3 update is available from Garmin now SB850.

Bill Lancair 320

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Hopefully the 5.0 release fixed the jittery CDI. Have you tried it since that release?

PhantomPholly

Bill the HS34 works with the 480. I have software ver 2.10 set the speed on 480 and hs34 to low set 480 output to 429 no FP. Only problem I have had is a jittery CDI. The 2.3 update is available from Garmin now SB850.

Bill Lancair 320

Bill,

Would you please look at the Wiki page here and confirm the wiring layout I entered?  I'm on v2.0 and it definitely does not work, but will be upgrading to 2.3 shortly.

Also, do you have an x96 handheld connected to your 480?  If so, does your 480 flightplan transfer to the handheld?  If so, what configuration settings did you use?

PhantomPholly

Bill Lancair 320

Bill,

Would you please look at the Wiki page here and confirm the wiring layout I entered? I'm on v2.0 and it definitely does not work, but will be upgrading to 2.3 shortly.

Also, do you have an x96 handheld connected to your 480? If so, does your 480 flightplan transfer to the handheld? If so, what configuration settings did you use?

flyer2377

Bill Your wiring diagram looks correct. I don't have the flight plan information going to my 396 currently. I will be picking the lancair up in Alabama(interior work) in next 2 weeks and stopping at PDK to see some family on the way home. Are you at Eppes or the North ramp..

Bill