Why I bought Skyview

cessnadriver850

I love flying!
Why I bought my skyview over just an PFD, after reading all the lit, was because it had a nice dedicated WAAS GPS. I did not find the little paragraph about needing another $500 to $1000 GPS and associated antenna and panel space to drive the HSI display. Seems a little redundant not to mention expensive when I could have bought a cheaper EFIS display and GPS. Why won't the dedicated GPS 250 act as GPS1 also? Don't get wrong as I like all the bells and whistles of the skyview.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The SV-GPS-250 can't do this by itself. This is just a position sensor, but an HSI requires a flight plan so it knows where you want to go. This means databases, user interface, etc.

Because of this, SkyView has a very powerful embedded mapping application, which will happily drive the HSI. It allows direct-to, multi-leg flight plans, and has information for airports, airspaces, obstacles, and can even do traffic and weather. It's a world class GPS, all right inside SkyView.

A license for this software costs $500, but requires no additional hardware to install. This $500 is included in almost all advertisements of price we run for SkyView since almost everyone purchases it.

cessnadriver850

I love flying!
So let me see if I understand you correctly. If I purchase the $500 license, I won't need another GPS and don't I have 30 hours trial period of this software now. Sorry but I have not gotten to fly the system as of yet because I am waiting for a very very slow upholestry guy to finish the interior.

K

KRviator

You will only need an uber-expensive GPS if you want to fly IFR approaches legally.

If you stay VFR, the Dynon map licence removes the 30 hour limitation and by inserting a flightplan, you have your HSI guidance and autopilot coupling ability. You need a flightplan in the system (even if it is Origin-Destination, DCT) to have HSI guidance if your HSI is not being driven from an external source.

A King KLN-90B will give you GPS-NPA capability at a lowish cost ($1,200 or so) and will couple to the SkyView HSI but you will need something that meets TSO-C146 to perform a LPV approach.

If you want to fly VOR-VOR, a Val Nav 2000 will do that for about 10 airplane units.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
You should have a 30 hour trial of the map, so you can try it out. The trial doesn't run until you are flying, so you can try it out on the ground and make sure it does what you want.

In the end, the whole point of the map in SkyView is that if you are VFR, you don't need another GPS. It is a GPS itself, and a great one at that.