WiFi Adapter

jmplato

I'm fairly new to Dynon, but couldn't find an answer on this. I have 2 Skyview HDX displays. Do I need 2 WiFi adapters (one for each display) in order to get the WiFi to work. When I go into the setup, it is telling me that the status is offline as there is no WiFi adaptor on the other monitor. Thanks.

Carl_Froehlich

Yep, you need two. I don’t know why.

I’ve flown behind SkyView for 12+ years and never used the WiFi capability. I use the GTN-650 to hold the flight plans so transferring the flight plan from the iPad (Foreflight) does not do much for me.

Now if Dynon would provide a means to make the iPad a repeater of the SkyView display that would be a great reason to get the WiFi adapters…..

Carl

XCtrip

Yep, you need two. I don’t know why.

I’ve flown behind SkyView for 12+ years and never used the WiFi capability. I use the GTN-650 to hold the flight plans so transferring the flight plan from the iPad (Foreflight) does not do much for me.

Now if Dynon would provide a means to make the iPad a repeater of the SkyView display that would be a great reason to get the WiFi adapters…..

Carl
Carl, not sure what you mean by 'repeater' but maybe you refer to 'duplication' display? For example, a moving map that duplicates the Dynon map, or even duplicates the EFIS flight instruments?
And, what is SkyView display, a rather generic name for most of the EFIS versions from SkyView Classic, Touch, or even the HDX? I'll assume maybe the generically Dynon EFIS display, to comment.
I have a single HDX 10" in an all Dynon VFR system, using the WiFi to connect to my 10.9" iPad, mounted on an X-NAUT cooler RAM on the Co-pilot side of a side-by-side RV. ForeFlight ProPlus on the ipad, and Wifi to the HDX EFIS allows a very usable EFIS flight instrument duplication, which would be useful for a "GIB" (backseat in tandem RV). and/or Moving Map. All possible via a WiFi on the HDX. That very inexpensive WiFi adds greatly to the Dynon functionality this way, for far less than a second HDX. Skip lunch for a week and buy the WiFi dongle. And you'll get more out of ForeFlight for the TrackLog, too. Make FF to full-screen 'flight instruments' and with synthetic vision, it will enhance your view of the terrain.
NOTE: don't set your iPad WiFi to unintentionally pair with your cell phone and interfere with flight functions, by dropping WiFi to EFIS.
RViter

Carl_Froehlich

What would be perfect is being able to display the EFIS screen on the iPad. This is not for the pilot, it is for the GIB to see what I’m seeing. The iPad would have no control on the EFIS.

The Foreflight display already does as you discribe. It does not show a display anywhere near the integrated display on the SkyView.

Again - the transfer of the flight plan to the SkyView is of little use to me as I load them into the GTN-650.

Carl

cbailey

I’ll take one step further. I have an RV8 and wanted to add a HDX800 to the back. Decided against it because of finding a clean way to hide the wire harness.

Now we all agree the Foreflight, Garmin Pilot, Seattle Avionics, FltPlan Go, etc. do a decent job with moving flight plans to the Dynon and getting the ADAHRS attitude only data (not full EFIS) and ADSB data. What I would like to see is a repeat of the HDX functionality. EMS information, full ADAHRs data, full flight plan transfer to and from, AP, radio, and transponder controls. Basically giving the GIB all the information and controls when it’s not feasible to install another system. Of course I would make sure there was no way to change any configurations. If Dynon had this a a paid add on I would buy it in a heart beat.

By the way, Garmin Pilot does this with the G3x.

I think that is what Carl was talking about.

Can’t wait for the keyboard commandos to reply. 😃

Last edited: