WiFi capabilities

swatson999

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. The WiFi can NOT be used to a) upload a Dynon navdata monthly update, b) upload a Dynon software update package, like a .duc file, or c) upload a Seattle Avionics dataset outside of using one of the apps on an iPhone or iPad. Right?

E.g., no way to upload, say, a Dynon navdata file from anything, iPhone, iPad, or computer w/ WiFi.

Is that correct? Or did I miss that section of the User's Manual?

Stevec

You are not wrong the file loading option only looks at the USB unless I have missed something to.
flight plans can be uploaded by wifi but they are initiated from the iPad.

swatson999

Thanks. Just wanted to confirm my decision not to get the WiFi dongle. Yet another device and upload path to deal with...no thanks. USB stick for everything seems way easier (I don't use the SV for flight plans...for that, I use the 430W).

Carl_Froehlich

Thanks. Just wanted to confirm my decision not to get the WiFi dongle. Yet another device and upload path to deal with...no thanks. USB stick for everything seems way easier (I don't use the SV for flight plans...for that, I use the 430W).
I’m in the same camp. I use the GTN-650 for all flight plans so being able to upload a ForeFlight flightplan from the iPad to the SkyView does me little good.

Does the SkyView WiFi provide any other feature that I might want?

What I’d pay for is a link to make the iPad a repeater of the SkyView display.

Carl

kurtfly

I love flying!
The Seattle avionics databases can be uploaded into the Skyview displays via Slingshot feature. Search the Seattle Avionics web site for details. I think you need to be a fly-q subscriber.

Stevec

Hi I wasn’t aware of the Slingshot feature but it appears it still only copies to the USB stick.

Aviation databases and charts can also be downloaded over Wi-Fi from some third-party apps – such as Seattle Avionics FlyQ – directly to a USB drive inserted in SkyView display. This eliminates the manual procedure of removing the USB drive from Skyview and downloading updated files to it from a personal computer. More information about FlyQ Slingshot capability can be found in the SkyView Classic / SE / HDX System Installation Guide.

swatson999

Not interested in FlyQ EFB. Once a month, I just copy the Dynon navdata to the same stick that I use for SA charts, swap it with the one in the plane and load the new Dynon databases. I just wondered if I could do that with WiFi out of curiosity.

Last thing I need is *another* series of steps and apps and devices like an iPhone or iPad to mess with :). I fear that eventually I won't have any choice when SA decides to sunset the Data Manager, though.

362PC

I have two sets of USB sticks, one that is in the airplane and one in my flight bag. Anytime I get the email about charts being available I update the set in my flight bag for the next trip to the hangar. This way I always have the most updated charts ready to go. I don't have any interest in the FlyQ system either and the USB stick swap system works really well.

vlittle

I’m in the same camp. I use the GTN-650 for all flight plans so being able to upload a ForeFlight flightplan from the iPad to the SkyView does me little good.

Does the SkyView WiFi provide any other feature that I might want?

What I’d pay for is a link to make the iPad a repeater of the SkyView display.

Carl
I developed a multi-function EFIS that takes SkyView data over WiFi or serial, and displays all of the common flight and engine instruments. For $300, MakerPlane sells the huVVer-AVI. See more at www.huVVer.tech . Daylight readable screen, lightweight, available in 2 or 3 inch hole versions.

1718244876436.jpeg

ericwaynedavis

I have two sets of USB sticks, one that is in the airplane and one in my flight bag. Anytime I get the email about charts being available I update the set in my flight bag for the next trip to the hangar. This way I always have the most updated charts ready to go. I don't have any interest in the FlyQ system either and the USB stick swap system works really well.
I probably need to adopt this approach. I usually pull only one usb drive from the plane and update it. As a fairly new user, I recognized that the system will sync the databases across panels but was surprised to learn that approach plates are not synced, nor are they copied from the stick onto the panel memory. I can understand the later, but it would be really nice if the system would copy newer plate data from one usb drive to the other so that I can pull up plates from either panel.