WiFi flight plan support for OzRunways EFB

DavidSamulenok

I love flying!
In Australia, OzRunways is the top tablet based EFB package. Dynon supports OzRunways hybrid Maps already... So far, so good.
Suggestion: can you allow OzRunways to send .gpx flight plans via your Dynon WiFi interface please?
At present, I need to carry my laptop on outback excursions, email/export flight plans from my iPad, and use the laptop to copy them to a USB stick for import into the Dynon.
OzRunways told me they approached you regarding this, but had lukewarm support from you for this. Why?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
SkyView supports the import of flight plans via Wi-Fi. To develop, and introduce this feature, we partnered with ForeFlight, and for a time, that feature was exclusive to ForeFlight. If OzRunways contacted Dynon Avionics during that time, we wouldn't have been able to work with them at the time to allow OzRunways to send flight plans to SkyView.

That period of exclusivity has now expired, and several other companies have incorporated this feature into their products. Doing so does require some customized software work, and it might not be the case that the data format is the same as .GPX, or as simple as "sending a file via Wi-Fi".

OzRunways is actually already a Dynon partner, so we'd be happy to provide the information they need to incorporate this feature. Please let them know that you're interested.

But if OzRunways can ONLY "send .GPX files via Wi-Fi", likely that particular, specific method of transferring a flight plan cannot be accommodated in SkyView; the only way to get a .GPX file into SkyView is via the USB flash drive.

In Australia, OzRunways is the top tablet based EFB package. Dynon supports OzRunways hybrid Maps already... So far, so good.
Suggestion: can you allow OzRunways to send .gpx flight plans via your Dynon WiFi interface please?
At present, I need to carry my laptop on outback excursions, email/export flight plans from my iPad, and use the laptop to copy them to a USB stick for import into the Dynon.
OzRunways told me they approached you regarding this, but had lukewarm support from you for this. Why?

K

KRviator

Looks like OzRunways is now available as a Wi-Fi flight planning option. I've just ordered a Wi-Fi adapter and will test it out when it gets here next week to report back what works & what doesn't. The only reference I can actually find to the connectivity is on Dynon's page, there is no reference in the OzRunways documentation or the Dynon Pilots Guide that I've been able to find...

From the Dynon Wi-Fi page:
SkyView can now connect to: Seattle Avionics FlyQ, ForeFlight Mobile, PocketFMS EasyVFR, OzRunways, and SkyDemon iOS/Android apps, via Wi-Fi. This connectivity makes flight planning and preparation easier and more efficient for those of you who fly with the mentioned mobile flight planning options, and also allows your device to benefit from SkyView's GPS position and flight instruments. Note that not all apps support all capabilities - check with your app maker to determine their latest EFIS connectivity features.

K

KRviator

So a bit of a follow-up, my Wifi adapter turned up yesterday and I installed it today. After getting the Ipad & Skyview talking to eachother I was unable to get any communication to/from OzRunways. I have the OzRunways Hybrid VFR charts installed & working happily, and had a plan active on OzRunways on the Ipad, but there was no option to upload that to SkyView.

So for now, I have an email in to the tech guys at OzRunways to see just what functionality the Wifi adapter gives.

EDIT: A follow-up to the follow-up...I heard back from the OzRunways team and they do not have Wifi interoperability with Skyview at present, only their Hybrid VFR charts. :-[

K

KRviator

Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy...It's HERE!

From the good folk at OzRunways - It seems we now have WiFi-able transfer of our flightplan!

38069282752_18229986d9_c.jpg

K

KRviator

So after a bit of testing, using OzRunways V6.4 and SkyView V15.2, I cannot get OzRunways to talk to the Dynon. :-[ The Ipad is logged on to the SkyView WiFi dongle, and the hamster-wheel-of-death spins as it should when you try to share it, but that's as far as it goes.

I'm in discussions with the OzR guys to find out what's going on, but according to them, to send your plan to SkyView, it is as simple as pressing the "share" icon in the top right (Box with upwards arrow) and Dynon SkyView should be an option down the bottom of the list. Select that and you're away.

I'll update more when I get it working.

K

KRviator

So I found out what the problem is - and it isn't me or the Dynon. Discussions with the OzRunway guru's have found the way the code is written at present will not work with iOS9 - which is the best an old iPad2 can run. :( That's the bad news. The good news is they are aware of the problem, know exactly how to fix it and will rewrite that particular piece of code so it does work with iOS9 from the next software release, and the great news is it should be ready before I can go flying again, so expect it in less than 2 weeks or so. :D