Wiring an ACK-04 with all Serial ports used

cdeerinck

I love flying!
I am wiring a dual HDX setup with an ACK E-04 ELT (not yet purchased).  Serial ports 1,2,3, and 5 are used (VPX, Transponder, ADSB, GPS).  So, serial port 4 it is, leaving me with no spare for future expansion.  The ELT will be in the rear battery area of an RV-8.  Can I just run unshielded 20awg twisted pair that far (about 12-15' given the twists and turns)?

My other option is a Kannad Integra (at twice the price) and not connect it to the HDXs, because it has its own GPS.

Does Dynon have a "more recommended" path between those two choices, or something else?

mrdaud

The ACK E-04 has a default baud rate of 9600, and is the maximum you can adjust for. For unshielded twisted pair at 9600 baud, the recommended maximum length is 15 m or ~45 feet.

jakej

22awg is more than adequate. Another approach, to save the 'spare' serial port for later, could be to connect the E0-4 but not to the serial port & have a PLB (GPS type) as a personal backup. Much cheaper option than say the Kannad & you can use it for other activities too or carry it with you away from any danger if involved in an accident causing fuel spillage etc ;)

maartenversteeg

I love flying!
Yes, but not connecting the ACK E-04 to a gps location source pretty much defies the purpose of the ELT, I had an accident and was temporary incapacitated, so I was very happy (and it probably saved my butt) that they were able to pinpoint my location using the gps and a ambulance reached me within 20 minutes after the crash.
I could have connected the ELT directly to a Garmin 430 output and have it sourced from there, but I considered it more reliable to allow the dynon to pick a gps based location from either the dynon or the garmin gps but as you said this ties up another dynon serial output