FAA Letter that my ADS-B Out fails to comply

drferrell

I love flying!
Well this was a shock. After 8 years of flying my bird with the Dynon Tis-B transponder, today I get a letter from the FAA saying my ADS-B Out fails to comply. I have no clue what they are talking about and will call them tomorrow but wondering if anyone has a clue what might be going on? I have not flown the plane into any Class C or B airspace and the transponder basically just stays on 1200.
There is one page with the letter that lists 3 Exceptions: NIC, SIL and SDA.

kellym

I love flying!
If I understand correctly, you have the Dynon 261 transponder. With the proper firmware update, it is perfectly compliant. However you say nothing about what you are using for ADS-B GPS source. The Dynon GPS250 does not comply. You need either a Dynon 2020 GPS or a certified panel mount IFR WAAS GPS. NIC, SIL and SDA will fail if you don't have a working, approved GPS source. If your system has ADS-B capability, it doesn't matter what airspace you are in, the ADS-B must be on, and compliant.

drferrell

I love flying!
If I understand correctly, you have the Dynon 261 transponder. With the proper firmware update, it is perfectly compliant. However you say nothing about what you are using for ADS-B GPS source. The Dynon GPS250 does not comply. You need either a Dynon 2020 GPS or a certified panel mount IFR WAAS GPS. NIC, SIL and SDA will fail if you don't have a working, approved GPS source. If your system has ADS-B capability, it doesn't matter what airspace you are in, the ADS-B must be on, and compliant.
Thanks for that info. I do in fact have the GPS250. I've got a call into Dynon to walk me through my options to get this complaint.

kellym

I love flying!
Thanks for that info. I do in fact have the GPS250. I've got a call into Dynon to walk me through my options to get this complaint.
Your most straight-forward fix is to buy the GPS 2020, get it installed, revise the transponder configuration to show you have the GPS2020, and you then only need to respond to the letter that you have installed a compliant GPS. The GPS 2020 is a direct, exact physical replacement, that you only need to splice its wiring into your existing harness. The wires are color coded exactly the same.
Kelly

GalinHdz

FWIW; If you don't already have an ADSB compatible GPS you could just add the GPS-2020 and keep the GPS-250 as a backup GPS source. It would take some minor configuration changes on the DYNON system but completely doable.

;)