SYS EVENT 3: SYS EVENT 5: Screen Powered Off

MaydayMayday

While cruising in VMC dry and clear air I noticed that the airplane was not following the autopilot and was drifting right of course. I began to manually fly the airplane and determined that the autopilot servos had disengaged (I did not press disconnect nor was there any audio voice warning of the disconnect) and before I could look at the status above the PDF then the left screen went completely gray and then powered off and rebooted and it showed a message " SYS EVENT 3: SYS EVENT 5:" and operated normally for the remainder of the flight.

The right screen worked normally the whole time.

Naturally having a screen "gray out" in flight cannot be described as good.

I tried to download the user data logs and system logs however I cannot get past the "SYSTEM SOFTWARE (INSERT USB DRIVE) light gray screen on either of the two screens. I have tried my trusty USB drive that worked flawlessly for three years and two other USB drives...I can see that the USB LED will blink as usual when it is inserted however it seems that the screen will not communicate with the drive.

On the last brand new USB drive I was able to get it to show and I downloaded the user log but when I reinserted the drive into the screen the same light gray fonts were displayed....

Any help...PLEASE?!?!?!

djones

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to say, but System Event 5 will require the screen come back in for repair. It is an indication of a failing solid state drive.
Give us a shout at support@dynonavionics.com

andresmith76

I love flying!
How long can we expect these drives to last before they require replacing? What determines the life of these solid state drives? Is it total # of hours the screens are powered up, number of power on/off cycles or some other parameter we can control/regulate?

MaydayMayday

Yes I will send back the screen...

So how do I fix...

> tried to download the user data logs and system logs however I cannot get past the "SYSTEM SOFTWARE (INSERT USB DRIVE) light gray screen on either of the two screens. I have tried my trusty USB drive that worked flawlessly for three years and two other USB drives...I can see that the USB LED will blink as usual when it is inserted however it seems that the screen will not communicate with the drive.

I want to be able to download the last flight data and my user settings. How do I do this?

Rhino

andresmith76

I love flying!
It's a combination of many factors, and unfortunately there is no simple answer. You can see the data here:

I'm aware of the limitations on the total number of read/write cycles with solid state drives. As such, it seems we should have a general idea on Dynon's life-cycle with needing to replace drives, just as we should have a rough idea on planning to replace the back-up batteries. Would reducing the frequency of the data record rate (System Setup > Data Log > Record Rate) have some influence on the longevity of these devices? What is Dynon doing in the background - how often does the system access the drives during operation? Does each button press create a read/write cycle? What about pinch-zooming the screen? Or a knob's rotation? I'd like to know what Dynon's experience has been with a typical life cycle of their SSD's?

Rhino

Obviously only Dynon can answer those questions, but the study found that drive age was a more reliable determinant than number of read/write operations, amount of data throughput, environmental conditions, etc. As such, without more definitive data from Dynon, I'd guess about six or seven years. It wasn't a matter of those things not affecting drive life. It was that they didn't affect it in a consistent enough manner that would allow them to draw reliable conclusions.