Changing N number

d3mac123

I have the authorization to change my N number. I am using a full Dynon Skyview solution (GPS, transponder, radios, you name it). Any ideas on how to properly do the change or is it just as simple as changing the current number with the new one in the Aircraft settings?

d3mac123

Thanks, Jake. I am not sure about the Transponder Hex code. Is it something the Skyview will auto-generate when I change the number in the configuration or do I need to get it from someplace else?

jakej

Not sure how it's done there - our Aviation regulator (CASA) issues the Hex code with our aircraft rego (N-Number in your case) which is specific to that rego, never generated by Dynon.
I just did a 'search' & found this -
"How do I find my aircraft hex code?
In the US, this is easily found online in the FAA registry and it is printed on the registration document that is carried in the aircraft. It should also be entered into your transponder configuration data and most GA aircraft one can use a configuration mode to read out the value. 7 Sept 2020"

Last edited:

Tim Fitz

Just changed mine. If you enter in the new N number your Skyview will know know the hex code. Until the registration branch gets it finalized you will be “owner unknown” in flight aware and other tracking apps. Don’t hold your breath on the registration branch getting everything done in a timely manner. They are running at least 4 months behind.

jakej

Thanks Tim - that's the difference I guess, it's automatic with FAA registered aircraft only - 'we' have to enter the Hex codes here.
You guys have got it easy - free weather & mapping etc 🙂.

d3mac123

Thanks Tim and Jake. Really appreciated.

So, just to confirm, I can keep flying and reporting to towers the new number, while the registration branch still works on the new docs, right?

GalinHdz

Thanks Tim and Jake. Really appreciated.

So, just to confirm, I can keep flying and reporting to towers the new number, while the registration branch still works on the new docs, right?
Yes, as long as the new tail number is on your airplane and you have the temporary registration paperwork with you. When you get the permanent registration, then you have to update your Airworthiness Certificate and your Operations Limitations to reflect the new tail number. Not a difficult process, just takes a little bit of time.

swatson999

Thanks, Jake. I am not sure about the Transponder Hex code. Is it something the Skyview will auto-generate when I change the number in the configuration or do I need to get it from someplace else?
It's *in the Installation Manual*. Did you read it?

For US registered aircraft with a conventional (pattern) N-number, when the tail
number is entered, the HEX CODE will be set automatically (computed based on the
aircraft N-number). I

Rhino

Thanks Tim - that's the difference I guess, it's automatic with FAA registered aircraft only - 'we' have to enter the Hex codes here.
You guys have got it easy - free weather & mapping etc 🙂.
Not really free. Our taxes pay for it.

Rhino

Go to http://www.airframes.org/ and get a hex number for your aircraft. You enter the hex code in the setup menu for the Dynon transponder. That starts on page 11-15 of the Skyview Installation Manual (Revision AJ).

GalinHdz

I am based in Colombia, my tail Nr is HJ488. How can I change my HEX Code
Can someone help me with advice?
You will have to check with your nations Civil Aviation Authority (FAA equivalent). They assign your Hex code which is based on the tail number in their registration database. Many countries do not assign a Hex code to VFR aircraft unless specifically requested. I just went through this with an airplane registered in Brazil (PR-ZVL). ;)

2022.07.22 Around8am (10).JPG

Last edited: