New Airmate aviation data

JP JR

FC5B54B2-04AB-47B4-9ECB-C70187011D2C.jpeg

RV8JD

The data that I downloaded and were written to the USB drive were the same number of files you're showing, 19656. My memory is a little fuzzy, but after the files were downloaded, it took about 2 hours or so to write the files to the USB flash drive ("Programming USB Stick"). Note that in the screenshot below, the remaining time of 37 minutes is just for the Airport Plates. I never saw a "Remaining Time" as long as your pic is showing. The USB drive I have is a SanDisk Ultra 32GB 3.0 flash drive. A 2.0 USB flash drive would take a lot longer to write the files to compared to a 3.0 drive.

Al-in-all, the whole process seemed to take as long as it did when I was using the Seattle Avionics Data Manager running on an iMac using Parallels with Windows 10 or 11.

i-SpqZjH3-M.png

Update: I wrote the files to a second SanDisk Ultra 32GB 3.0 flash drive ("Program USB stick"), and it took about 1:05 to complete for that part of the operation. So the 2 hour estimate given above may not be accurate, either since I wasn't paying much attention at the time, or the files may already have been unpacked from the first time so just needed to be copied to the drive the second time.

Last edited:

JP JR

The data that I downloaded and were written to the USB drive were the same number of files you're showing, 19656. My memory is a little fuzzy, but after the files were downloaded, it took about 2 hours or so to write the files to the USB flash drive ("Programming USB Stick"). Note that in the screenshot below, the remaining time of 37 minutes is just for the Airport Plates. I never saw a "Remaining Time" as long as your pic is showing. The USB drive I have is a SanDisk Ultra 32GB 3.0 flash drive. A 2.0 USB flash drive would take a lot longer to write the files to compared to a 3.0 drive.

Al-in-all, the whole process seemed to take as long as it did when I was using the Seattle Avionics Data Manager running on an iMac using Parallels with Windows 10 or 11.

i-SpqZjH3-M.png
Thanks I’ve been using Microduo 3c 32gb USB devices they actually worked better on the SA system for me than the Scandisk drives but I’ll find some Scandisk USB devices tomorrow and see if I have better luck because these don’t look like they will work

HEB1022

How do the file sizes of the Aviation and Obstacle files compare to the Dynon files? Also, can you select raster data by region of the US, or is it all or nothing?

Thanks.

RV8JD

How do the file sizes of the Aviation and Obstacle files compare to the Dynon files? Also, can you select raster data by region of the US, or is it all or nothing?

Thanks.
The Airmate US Aviation database file is 11.9 MB. The Airmate US Obstacle database file is 1.8 MB.

It appears that you cannot select raster data by region or state (except for the Alaska and Hawaii Sectionals, which are separate downloads. See pic in Post #22). Otherwise, it's all or nothing.

Last edited:

JP JR

i-SpqZjH3-M.png

Update: I wrote the files to a second SanDisk Ultra 32GB 3.0 flash drive ("Program USB stick"), and it took about 1:05 to complete for that part of the operation. So the 2 hour estimate given above may not be accurate, either since I wasn't paying much attention at the time, or the files may already have been unpacked from the first time so just needed to be copied to the drive the second time.
I found these SanDisk drives at BestBuy today… solved my issues.. thanks again

wilkersk

I love flying!
Well, gee. I bought the lifetime subscription to Seattle Avionics a couple of years ago, even though my -8 wasn't flying yet. I've updated my USB drives regularly, and I don't have any problems doing so. Hope this new vendor doesn't mean my lifetime subscription is going to become worthless. I really will be pissed.

Riseric

Does anyone at Dynon or other know why Nav Canada seem to not allow their charts to be available on Airmate?
There are 195 countries on earth, (Airmate claim providing charts for over 200 countries ;-) ), and most of them, if not all, available except Canada...
It's very frustrating having a super HDX system on board but not having charts that goes along that would arguably enhance situation awarness and safety...

n144sh

I love flying!
Well I gave it a try. My review for US customers is don't waste your money. The process is as buggy and painful as SA. First, checkout cart didn't work - email. Then after paying - nothing - another email. Send N number & dynon S/N and received confirmation. Airmate data manager seems as crude as the SA data manager and crashed mid update. Restarted and it eventually finished after many many hours (overnite). The data is not as good as SA - nowhere near as many smaller airport diagrams for example. My home airport doesn't have a diagram. Summary: Takes as long as SA, data not as good. I expect they will work out the bugs and it was nice doing the update on a Mac rather than a PC.

RV6-KPTW

I have a different gripe but agree about the manager app. It is unusable.

I did download the files and that worked fine. So this product is usable from the manual download perspective.

However, the biggie, my home airport identifier is “X26”. Lots of airports in Florida start with “X” The nav data lists it as “KX26”

No plates show up for KX26 cause the plate data does not use the “K”.

Another issue with the nav data is the display of class E airspace. I have not spent a lot of time with the map but it looks pretty cluttered. Perhaps I can clean this up in config. Will look into.

The VFR map is blurry and unusable.I hope there is a higher rez version or a config available to solve this.

I have not yet loaded the IFR map but am hopeful. It is a much larger file than the VFR map file so maybe higher rez.

On the upside, I like the plates approach and resolution. That is very nice.

Any insights? I will follow up with data provider with my complaints and observations and post response here.

Thanks for listening.

Dennis

JP JR

I have a different gripe but agree about the manager app. It is unusable.

I did download the files and that worked fine. So this product is usable from the manual download perspective.

However, the biggie, my home airport identifier is “X26”. Lots of airports in Florida start with “X” The nav data lists it as “KX26”

No plates show up for KX26 cause the plate data does not use the “K”.

Another issue with the nav data is the display of class E airspace. I have not spent a lot of time with the map but it looks pretty cluttered. Perhaps I can clean this up in config. Will look into.

The VFR map is blurry and unusable.I hope there is a higher rez version or a config available to solve this.

I have not yet loaded the IFR map but am hopeful. It is a much larger file than the VFR map file so maybe higher rez.

On the upside, I like the plates approach and resolution. That is very nice.

Any insights? I will follow up with data provider with my complaints and observations and post response here.

Thanks for listening.

Dennis
Regarding the VFR blurry, I just found that the $49 subscription only includes Low Resolution VFR maps… nothing that I found stated this in writing but I asked then to change my subscription from the $49 USA only to the $99 North American subscription and it included both the lower resolution as well as high resolution VFR maps for the USA…. Downloading now

Last edited:
So, this came at an interesting time for me. I have yet to get the updated data since the Dynon upgrade. Still learning it. Was just about to get a Seattle avionics subscription but this came out and thought maybe they would be better. Generally not a fan of doing something like this with a company overseas, when there's an issue or question timing can be difficult. Perhaps not the case here.

In the email announcement Dynon says they're Raster charts...but then in this thread Dynon says,"essentially a vector-based chart, of course with limitations". Clear as mud. Am I misunderstanding something?

For those that have gaven it a shot... Stick with Seattle? Id put up with some wonkiness for a foreflight style vector vfr sectional. But if it's missing that many airport diagrams vs Seattle avionics... Stick with Seattle avionics? Not part of the apple cult so the Mac os isn't an issue

RV6-KPTW

Folks,

Airmate responded (over the weekend) and resolved all issues noted above. The airport identifiers are fixed, the connection to plates is also fixed and a high res vfr chart has been provided. I tested both the VFR and the IFR chart and it has good res - suitable for use. The class E airspace clutter issue is resolved byt turning off that data in config.

I still have an issue with the Manager app and will work on testing this week to give Airmate feedback. The ability to directly download as an alternative is easy and makes the app a luxury.

Pretty happy with what I see. I’ll fly it for a bit and see.

RV8JD

Regarding the Lo-Res VFR charts in the USA download. I also contacted Airmate directly and they provided a link to the Hi-Res VFR charts (a 2GB download instead of 600MB), that I can use immediately as part of the USA raster charts (with a new chart key they provided). They said that they included the Low-Res VFR charts initially due to some concerns on USB stick size constraints since some customers load a lot of charts on the stick.

The Hi-Res VFR charts are now available in the USA download via the Data Manager, and will be also included in the download links for next FAA chart cycles. Folks who have already signed up should be getting an email with links to the new data.

The email also stated that they are currently working on an improved Sectional raster chart rendering of Canadian and Mexican border areas using Airmate's own chart as FAA no longer display aeronautical information outside US boundaries in Sectionals, it should be available for next cycle or at worst the following one.

Regarding their support: I have contacted Airmate a few times and their responses have been quick and helpful.

Last edited:

Rhino

Well, the response to customer feedback seems to be way better than SA.

RV8JD

I just received another email from Airmate. They are working to include AFD airport sheets in the Plates, which should be available for the next cycle.

n144sh

I love flying!
Well, the response to customer feedback seems to be way better than SA.
Absolutely! SA is non-responsive.... Airmate responds quite quickly and is obviously trying to make the product better. Good signs.

RV6-KPTW

Folks,

I have been talking with the AirMate guys about improvements to the Manager app. My problem, as it turns out, is one of available space in the default install and data location. I have asked for the ability to configure the app to point data to a different location, for better error messaging, as well as a check on available space prior to performing the download. AirMate has agreed and will be working on these in the near term.

The ability to download keeps me flying but app should reduce errors and effort.

Rhino

Just realized they don't have anything for PC. I really don't want to use a mobile device, so I guess I'll still be stuck with SA.