How to Disable ADS-B for Formation Flight?

skysailor

Putting your transponder in Standby will indeed disable your ADSB out as desired assuming the Dynon transponder is your ADSB out source. Since my Echo UAT is my ADSB out I installed a switch to disable that for formation flight.

Rhino

The SBY button on the Transponder page puts the transponder in standby.

RV8JD

At least on the SkyView Classic and Touch, the "Standby" mode (SBY) is active when none of the other modes are active (It does not have its own 'SBY' button to select it).

Per page 6-2, "Transponder Operation", of the SkyView Classic/Touch Pilot's Guide:

"...
a. SBY: The transponder is on, but will not reply to any interrogations. This is the mode that the transponder is in when none of the modes below are active.
"

Transponder menu example below. In this case the 'ALT' mode is selected. If 'ALT' was deselected and no other modes selected, the transponder would be in the 'SBY' mode.
i-wPDFnZb-S.jpg

Last edited:

Rhino

Yes, I assumed HDX since he didn't state otherwise.

Reaver

Correct this is for HDX. Nowhere in the user or install manual that I can find does it actually say that Standby turns off ADS-B out. Does someone have a source to cite for that?

jakej

Standby 'turns off' anything associated/connected with/to the Transponder - most likely not in the manual. Trust me.;)
Ps - There is no usable (by FAA or other aircraft) data when in standby mode.

PaulSS

I love flying!
Unless you specifically have an ADSB module, then ADSB is provided by sending GPS position from the HDX to the Mode S transponder's extended squitter. Therefore, as advised above, putting the transponder in standby prevents the transponder responding to interrogation AND from transmitting data using the extended squitter.

lrg775

SBY doesn't, however, turn off ADS-B In and associated traffic alerts.

PaulSS

I love flying!
Of course it doesn't. The transponder's extended squitter is only used for the transmission of ADSB data. Whatever is used to receive ADSB is totally separate to the transponder.

lrg775

Useful to note in the context of formation flights, unless you're someone who enjoys listening to traffic alerts.

swatson999

Of course it doesn't. The transponder's extended squitter is only used for the transmission of ADSB data. Whatever is used to receive ADSB is totally separate to the transponder.
Not totally separate (from the user's point of view), and not *of course*. I note that the Garmin GTX 345 XPDR is both ADS-B Out *and* In in one box, and they specifically note that in SBY, ADS-B In is still received, so it's very conceivable that (for some odd reason) someone would design an XPDR where SBY turns them both off. Yes, the subsystems are likely "totally separate" within the box.

Point being...don't assume anything unless it's in the documentation for the *specific* devices in question.

ty1295

I fly 80% of my time in formation and use the Standby switch more than I use the transponder in automatic mode. Traffic alerts are almost never an issue.

OldBoldPilot

I'm thinking about installing an ADS-B In Inhibit switch for formation stuff. There's only 4 wires to choose from: power, ground, data in, and data out. Putting the switch on the power wire would be an on/off switch for the ADS-470 module. I'm wondering if there's any advantage or disadvantage to putting it on the data TX line (module remains powered but can't talk to the display). Either way, I would expect to see the "ADS-B IN OFFLINE" message, but might there be other side effects that make one or the other preferable? (e.g. boot-up time, other nuisance messages, inrush current spikes, etc.)

Rhino

You should be able to put the transponder in standby by grounding pin 17, as stated as a requirement in the Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM) paragraph 4-1-20.

Last edited:

N941WR

What the others have said about putting the Dynon Transponder in Standby does disable ADS-B out; however, the ADS-B in still works and you will get traffic warnings, which can be annoying.

A little food for thought from the AIM, the FAA now requests that Lead squawks 1203 when not receiving ATC services.
1711550664775.png

OldBoldPilot

This has been discussed above--having my transponder in stby/off/failed will prevent me (as the wingman) from causing a traffic alert in the lead's aircraft (and in the ATC facility). But my ADS-B In unit is still powered, still receiving, and still knows its position from my GPS. So I expect the incoming signal from the lead aircraft's transponder would generate nuisance traffic alerts in my cockpit.

I suppose turning off my GPS might inhibit the traffic alerts, since the ADS-B would no longer know where it is. But since it's a GTN-650, that would kill a comm radio and VHF nav as well, plus generate whatever alerts from Skyview complaining that the ADS-B position info is lost, so I think the side effects are too severe.

You should be able to put the transponder in standby by grounding pin 17
But you have given me an idea: if I used a DPST inhibit switch, I could kill ADS-B In and put the xpdr in standby with a single switch instead of 2 separate operations. 🤔

Last edited:

Rhino

I would experiment with that. The SBY function isn't connected to pin 17, and may well function differently. Pin 17 was designed for putting one transponder in standby on aircraft with two transponders. Mutual suppression on pin 18 was designed for any transmitters on adjacent frequencies, and disables output transmissions on other devices with 24 volts out. It disables the transponder when receiving more than 10 volts in on the same pin from other devices when they are are transmitting, presumably to block incoming transmissions on the transponder. It seems counterintuitive to allow ADSB In from two transponders at the same time. It also seems counterintuitive to have two different pins perform the same function. So, I personally would confirm what both pins 17 and 18 actually do in my aircraft. Or, I would just ask Dynon directly.

Last edited:

OldBoldPilot

From the install manual:
External Standby Input (Pin 17) (optional) This input, when connected to Ground, places the SV-XPNDR-261/262 in Standby mode. It should be used to switch between transponders in an installation with two transponders. The input is active low and will be asserted when the voltage to ground is pulled below approximately 4 Volts.
So it looks like connecting this pin to an Inhibit switch and then to ground would work, but I'll confirm with Dynon before I do anything. I guess I'll also ask them about the best way to inhibit ADS-B In, having received no replies about that here.

OldBoldPilot

From David Readout @ Dynon:
Those are options that likely would get you what you're looking for, however, there may be an even easier method to try first. With your system there are some settings in the traffic setup menu, specifically for the ADSB ghost targets that might help. I would go to SETUP > TRAFFIC SETUP > SHOW ADSB GHOST TARGETS > adjust the range and altitude settings here to make your "bubble" around the airplane bigger and any traffic target that would show up within that range initially won't be defined as a target and won't trigger a warning. Most customers will adjust these when flying in formation and it helps to not get nuisance warnings.
So it appears there is a software solution/work-around.