How to Disable ADS-B for Formation Flight?

PilotMelch

ADSB OUT is transmitted by your transponder over extended squitter. That is why it is 1090 ES. If you turn off transmission from your transponder (i.e. go into standby), you also turn off ADSB OUT. It's just how it works. ADSB IN is a separate function. Yes, the same box both feeds info to the Transponder so it can be transmitted over extended squitter, but it is still separate functionality from ADSB IN.

Rhino

From David Readout @ Dynon:

So it appears there is a software solution/work-around.
This is interesting. Did they say how far out the 'bubble' range can be adjusted?

ADSB OUT is transmitted by your transponder over extended squitter. That is why it is 1090 ES. If you turn off transmission from your transponder (i.e. go into standby), you also turn off ADSB OUT. It's just how it works. ADSB IN is a separate function. Yes, the same box both feeds info to the Transponder so it can be transmitted over extended squitter, but it is still separate functionality from ADSB IN.
Did you have the impression someone here didn't already know that, or am I missing something? I've certainly missed stuff before.

vlittle

This is one benefit of Dynon's implementation of ADS-B. Rather than using a UAT, Dynon uses a Mode-S/ES transponder for ADSB Out. The transponder can be disabled (standby), while still receiving traffic on the ADSB 472.

In my new build, however, I have chosen to use an uAvionix tailBeaconX to be compliant with satellite-based ADS-B in Canada. Since the SkyView does not (yet) support the tailBeaconX, I was forced (encouraged) to design my own controller. These have been flying successfully for a few years now. In formation, the MODE button is push to enter/exit Standby.

The other function I added was a flip-flop mode between two codes. This is very handy, since outside of ATC, lead should be squawking 1203, and eveyone in the formation should be squawking their assigned codes when under ATC. As far as I know, this feature is unique in the industry, and it sure makes formation work safer— rather heads down entering codes, you keep eyes up following your lead.

FMI www.huvver.tech and www.makerplane.org .

1712331035479.jpeg