week gps 250 signal when both Skyview Classic Sreens are on

cortez

I found out lately that i takes more and more time til i get a good gps fix on the map (5-10 minutes) of my to Screen Classic System. I checked the Signal strengh on both Screens. As soon i turned off PFD 2 on the Copilot side al the Signal strengh bars go up (an 1 to 3 bars turn green). Nothing happen when i turn off PFD 1. The Signal strengh stays the same (weak). I do not know why that just happen by turning PFD 2 off. I am pretty sure that with a stronger Signal the time for waiting for a gps fix will be much less as lately. Moving the cabels hat no effects at all. I dit not make any changes on the System. Could that be that the gps 250 Antenne ist going to be bad? Im just not sure why this just have this Kind of behavior on turning off on Screen? All the bars going up on the same time up when turning pfd 2 off!! Does any Body have a good idea or expleration? Many thank for helping me in this issue.

Attachments

• attachments.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 161

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
I don't have a quick answer for that. Please reach out to our support team, contact info in the link in the signature below.

kellym

I love flying!
I don't know why you are seeing what you do. You need to understand that what you think is the antenna for the GPS-250 is actually the full receiver unit. The wires are network cables, bringing the GPS output to the Skyview. Strength of GPS signal would not change regardless of whether your 250 connected to one or two or three screens.

HFMan

Perhaps an odd coincidence, but my Garmin GPS 496 (backup, mounted between two HDX displays) also indicates weaker GPS signals (by about 20%) whenever Display#2 is turned on. This same weakness is not observed when Display #1 is turned on. In my case, however- the GPS 496 has no issue getting a lock.

kurtfly

I love flying!
I had the same issue with my Garmin 250XL. I fixed it by changing the coax going to the 250XL GPS antenna with RG-400. The Dynon SV D1000T was coupling noise onto the antenna cable. RG-400 has excellent shielding properties. This is one of the reasons this cable is required for IFR GPS navigators

kellym

I love flying!
I had the same issue with my Garmin 250XL. I fixed it by changing the coax going to the 250XL GPS antenna with RG-400. The Dynon SV D1000T was coupling noise onto the antenna cable. RG-400 has excellent shielding properties. This is one of the reasons this cable is required for IFR GPS navigators
There is NO antenna cable with either the GPS 250 or GPS2020. The entire receiver is in the antenna puck. The wires from the puck are transmitting a serial datastream to one of you serial ports. I suppose if your GPS 250 antenna was close enough to a noisy screen there could be an issue. Perhaps tech support can tell you what measures you can take to reduce noise from the screen.

Raymo

I love aviation!
My 250 and 2020 antennas are both mounted on the glare shield of my RV-7. Neither has an issue with both screens turned on. That said, my antenna wire runs are short and are not tied in with other wires that might generate noise.

swatson999

There are certainly some experiments you could run to try to get more data. Swap screens, for example: does the problem move with the screen, or not? That would tell you if it's a screen problem (noisy) or a wiring problem (shielding or grounding or something).

cortez

There is NO antenna cable with either the GPS 250 or GPS2020. The entire receiver is in the antenna puck. The wires from the puck are transmitting a serial datastream to one of you serial ports. I suppose if your GPS 250 antenna was close enough to a noisy screen there could be an issue. Perhaps tech support can tell you what measures you can take to reduce noise from the screen.
Well thank you for your advice. I called dynon tech Support. But the Person who picked up the phone was not really interested in my Problem und just told me: "check the wires and the Signal". Well everybody could tell me something. So i ordered a new antenna. I connected the new Antenne to port 5 and the old Antenne i used as l second gps Antenne on port 4. The Overall Signal strenght is higher from the new Antenne and skyview hat much faster a 3 D Postition from the plane as bevor. The second old Antenne has still the weaker strengh Signal but is okay as a alternate in case port 5 Antenna will fail. But the Overall phenoma ist still the same. As soon PFD 2 is turned off the Signal is stronger. I can live with that since my plane has on the ground much faster a gps fix as bevor.

cortez

Well thank you for your advice. I called dynon tech Support. But the Person who picked up the phone was not really interested in my Problem und just told me: "check the wires and the Signal". Well everybody could tell me something. So i ordered a new antenna. I connected the new Antenne to port 5 and the old Antenne i used as l second gps Antenne on port 4. The Overall Signal strenght is higher from the new Antenne and skyview hat much faster a 3 D Postition from the plane as bevor. The second old Antenne has still the weaker strengh Signal but is okay as a alternate in case port 5 Antenna will fail. But the Overall phenoma ist still the same. As soon PFD 2 is turned off the Signal is stronger. I can live with that since my plane has on the ground much faster a gps fix as bevor. The next Thing is ...i will check everthing in the air und will fly steep turns und checked if Position gets lost again as bevor the replaisement of the sv gps 250 Antenne on Port 5 set on POS 1.