ADS-B PARTIAL

Jimzims

I love flying!
Classic Skyview with GPS 2020, Xponder 261, and ADS-B 470. All performing well until I updated to 16.6.0 firmware. Since then, I have the ADS-B PARTIAL displayed on Skyview. I don't seem to be receiving Wx anymore. Traffic is fine, METARs fine. Xponder and GPS status looks good in set-up and all is well there.
ADSB Status shows NO SIGNAL and Firmware version is shown as 1.1.0.52.

I've updated the Firmware to 16.7.0 with no change. Antenna is OK visually, connectors seem tight. ADS-B Status Light is blinking red at a rate of about 1 per second, which says the unit is talking to Skyview. Set-up also says there are "0 stations in range, 0 regional nexrad blocks, and so on... all zeros.
I'm out of ideas as to how to restore ADS-B Weather infeed and get back to full ADS-B IN.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Swaflyer737

You are not alone. This has been an issue for awhile now for many of us in Atlanta area. It all started for me with 16.4 First messages were "NO RADAR", and i was getting no airborne NEXRD or adsb updates. Upgraded to 16.6.0 and now 16.7 and still have "PARTIAL". in addition, flew 3 flights last week at different altitudes and looked for towers. I would get one intermittently. That is it. I wish i new what to tell you. Going to have a talk with dynon at S&F.

HEB1022

I thought I was alone with this issue. I am also regularly flying on the southside of Atlanta and almost 100% I am getting ADSB-Partial Once in a while, I will get ADSB-OK, but usually only for a brief period. I am on 16.6, with ADSB version 2.4.58 (I believe that is the new version). I updated the ADSB at the same time I went to 16.6. I am holding off on 16.7 until I learn more about this issue. I would be happy to learn what you find out at S&F. Anyone from Dynon support have information on this issue?

Thanks,

Harry

Bob Y

Same issue flying around the Charlotte and Columbia, SC areas, as high as 11,500 and still ADS-B PARTIAL. Occasionally see ADS-B OK, but not very long. Don’t know if we’re missing something on our maps, but traffic seems to be showing - at least some of it?

AviatorJoe

I was getting ADS-B Partial sometimes here in northern Ohio. It also seems to be reported as ADS-B No Radar.
From the user guide:
An ADS-B system is reporting that it does not know about radar traffic targets, or that it is not receiving information from any ADS-B ground station (in this case, you may still see aircraft that are equipped with 978 MHz ADS-B out devices via the ADS-B receiver). Although you are receiving ADS-B traffic from other ADS-B equipped aircraft, you are not receiving all detectable traffic because you are not currently in a radar service volume and ADS-B service volume. Thus, the traffic portrait may be incomplete.

So, it sounds like the ground portion of ADS-B is not available. Whose fault that is, I don't know. I'm using an all Dynon system, so it's not a transponder/EFIS mis-match.

Jim8JD

I love flying!
I saw ADS-B Partial on Sunday here in Tucson. I was seeing some traffic... I hadn't seen this until updating to 16.7.0
Dynon noted the changes to ADS-B Partial in the 16.7.0 update changes list ... would be good to hear more about this from Dynon.
Changed: ADS-B PARTIAL reception prioritized over TIS.
Changed: ADS-B NO RADAR status message updated to ADS-B PARTIAL

Swaflyer737

Glad to see this discussion growing. I want to be clear for all that my issues began with 16.4 I had great ADSB, great NEXRAD, traffic, and then it all went south after upgrades. I plan on flying this week and recording towers showing on my dynon against the stratus/ipad to have more information. My current traffic inputs are more that sufficient, It is the not having NEXRAD, metars, etc update in a timely manner that is what is really bothering me. Ill keep you posted, and It would be good for all of us to open up the ADSB window in flight and look at what you have, take picture and share here so we can really start to see if this is regional, software, setup, etc.

Jimzims

I love flying!
I guess the part that is most concerning to me is that my ADS-B Status page on my display indicates that I am running 1.1.0.52! Not sure why it is not updating with latest firmware? The "line" that shows the software version is grayed out, so I am not able to select it at all. Anyone else seeing something similar? Again, my traffic seems good and my METARS are good, just no Wx.

Swaflyer737

I flew yesterday and here was the result. Never got a signal with Dynon......not one tower. Stratus during same period of time was between 2-4 towers at all times. Recheck configuration, 472 giving me the Green/yellow flash, so pulled the antenna (Red wing delta pop) and installed the a ball sytle transponder antenna. Also tested antenna cable and is 20-30 Ohms. Going to fly tomorrow and see what I get

Also, more info that someone may be able to comment on: I have the 472 on serial port 2 and TX counter +40000 and RX counter +65000, good sentences 1234 and zero sentence errors.

tedbain

San Antonio
Dynon repaired my ADS-B 472 in Nov. due to an issue upgrading software. I had good reception at that time and now nothing but ADS-B Partial. I am in the northwest and today flying around at 10,500' I had nothing but NO SIGNAL on the status line and on the Nav page ADS-B PARTIAL
Has anybody talked to Dynon about this?

Jimzims

I love flying!
I spoke with Dynon tech support today. I explained my ADS-B Partial issue. The gentleman didn't have a lot to offer in terms of a solid fix. His suggestion was to be sure and set TIS to "no" in the X-ponder setup menu.
Beyond that, he suggested that it might be a hardware issue with my ADSB-470, even though my unit's light is "blinking" correctly, and I am receiving solid traffic and METARS.
He said he would be sure and pass my data point on to the software folks. I suggested that they might want to visit this thread for more information about our issues.
Jim

Rhino

Rather than hoping one of them will visit this thread, I recommend anyone experiencing this issue contact Dynon directly. They're far more likely to see a trend with multiple reports of the same problem than they are by one person maybe looking at a thread here. Of course, stop doing that once they acknowledge the trend.

Rhino

I guess the part that is most concerning to me is that my ADS-B Status page on my display indicates that I am running 1.1.0.52!....
Should be higher than that (2.0.2 or higher I believe). Does it say "(NEW AVAIL.)"? If not, your system hasn't seen the new firmware update for the 472 in your software download from Dynon.

ned

I love flying!
I spoke with Dynon tech support today. I explained my ADS-B Partial issue. The gentleman didn't have a lot to offer in terms of a solid fix. His suggestion was to be sure and set TIS to "no" in the X-ponder setup menu.
Beyond that, he suggested that it might be a hardware issue with my ADSB-470, even though my unit's light is "blinking" correctly, and I am receiving solid traffic and METARS.
He said he would be sure and pass my data point on to the software folks. I suggested that they might want to visit this thread for more information about our issues.
Jim
Same thing they told me back in August of '23.
Still having the same issue. They said "send the unit in for analysis" however, all indications are that the unit is fine.

Jimzims

I love flying!
Should be higher than that (2.0.2 or higher I believe). Does it say "(NEW AVAIL.)"? If not, your system hasn't seen the new firmware update for the 472 in your software download from Dynon.
Agreed, it should be higher. No, it doesn’t say “NEW AVAILABLE “. I am not able to select any upgrade, as that line is grayed out in set-up…
Plus one that those who are experiencing a similar issue should contact Dynon directly. I don’t think they are aware of the extent of the issue.
Thanks, Jim

airguy

Agreed, it should be higher. No, it doesn’t say “NEW AVAILABLE “. I am not able to select any upgrade, as that line is grayed out in set-up…
Plus one that those who are experiencing a similar issue should contact Dynon directly. I don’t think they are aware of the extent of the issue.
Thanks, Jim
You are using the 470, not the 472, correct? I'm not sure you'll have the same upgrade path available for the firmware on the 470, which was discontinued many years ago and replaced with the 472.

Jimzims

I love flying!
You are using the 470, not the 472, correct? I'm not sure you'll have the same upgrade path available for the firmware on the 470, which was discontinued many years ago and replaced with the 472.
Yes, I am using the 470. I wasn’t aware that there might be a different upgrade path. I will call tech support again to find out.
Thanks, Jim

tedbain

San Antonio
I took my 472 in to Dynon and it failed their testing. This failure (indicated by "No Signal") occurred with the update to the latest software. They replaced it with a new 472.
I was there a 1/2 hr., got to talk to a few people, great customer service. I didn't get to see the new 12" screen as it had been taken to Europe for a fair.

Jimzims

I love flying!
I took my 472 in to Dynon and it failed their testing. This failure (indicated by "No Signal") occurred with the update to the latest software. They replaced it with a new 472.
I was there a 1/2 hr., got to talk to a few people, great customer service. I didn't get to see the new 12" screen as it had been taken to Europe for a fair.
Good to hear that they did the right thing. Not sure I’d get the same treatment with my older 470, but I’ll reach out to them.
Thanks

Swaflyer737

That is good to hear. When i was a Sun and Fun, sales said that support was in Europe. I will be sending my unit in.