10.1 chart issue

60av8tor

No more pixelation with 10.1, however...

3NM zoom:
1162A92A-6D6F-4991-8990-423A05186CD4.jpg

5NM zoom:
17DDF591-5784-4747-BABD-AB17CDA8CD70.jpg

12NM zoom:
BD081E00-4354-483A-8D44-B83011BBEFD9.jpg

paulduns

Hi Jon,

A few questions:

* How long had the display been on?
* Had you been panning much prior to this issue?
* Had you been switching chart types (IFR HI, LO, etc.) prior to this issue?

We're looking into this!

D

DHeal

I just installed the SA Sectionals and Flight Guide info in my SV 10.1 (RV-12) and I am seeing the same split/duplicated Sectional screens on only some of the various ranges. Also, my Sectionals are grainier than I would have liked to see. More details to follow as I play with these new charts some more.

60av8tor

Hi Paul,

I had probably been flying for an hour or slightly more. I was using the terrain map most of the flight, so I'm not sure if it was like this immediately.

I wasn't panning, and I wasn't switching layers very much - just once to see if the enroute charts acted similarly - they did. 8nm zoom (which is what I typically use) was ok - just 3,5, and 12 were affected.

Dheal - I had fits with SA data manager - thought it had loaded the improved charts, but it had not. The new charts are a great improvement.

D

DHeal

I loaded the latest SA Sectionals in my RV-12's SV10.1 and flew today. The Sectional map presentation looks good with no "split screen/duplication" issues like before. Weird how those darn electrons mess around with you! :D

swatson999

I had this same problem on the way to OSH, at various zoom levels and not always present. I have a couple of screen shots, but basically, it's a section of map repeated over and over. Also had a few times when all I saw were large blocks of uniform color (maybe about 1/8 of the window in size).

Made for a real hassle flying in to OSH. If this isn't fixed, it means I have to start buying paper charts again. Yuck.

swatson999

BTW, this was with the latest software and an up-to-date chart database.

60av8tor

Steve - I originally posted this thread. I had it happen again on my return from OSH. As before, 8-mile zoom was fine, but all others were either repeated, as in your pic, or just a bunch of unintelligible large pixels. I removed my thumb drive and reinserted - fixed the issue.

swatson999

Steve - I originally posted this thread.  I had it happen again on my return from OSH.  As before, 8-mile zoom was fine, but all others were either repeated, as in your pic, or just a bunch of unintelligible large pixels.  I removed my thumb drive and reinserted - fixed the issue.

Yeah, I had the large "pixels" at some zoom levels, too. Didn't bother to remove the drive and reinsert, but even if that fixed it, it's still a bug and I shouldn't have to do that in flight.

I did talk to the Dynon folks about it, and they request I post the pic here, and said they knew about it and were working on it. I suggest that this should be a fairly high priority bug to find...

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Hi guys - we're still trying to chase this down, but haven't found a way to reproduce it here. Of those of you that have seen it

How reproducible is it?
How long in flight?
How long charts have been displayed?
Temperature in environment?
USB stick brand?
USB stick size?
Hardware version (SETUP MENU > LOCAL DISPLAY SETUP > SCREEN HARDWARE INFORMATION > HARDWARE VERSION).
Which modules and number of displays installed?
Does it happen every flight? If not, how often?
Is there some particular action that seems to "trigger" the behavior?
What are your display serial numbers?
What version of SkyView are you running?
What location in the world were you in when you saw it?

D

DHeal

Sorry I can't respond to all of your detailed info requests, but my SV 10.1+ has been occasionally doing the "duplicated Sectional mapping" thing for a while now. It will also occasionally just depict "large blocks" of color. It seems to only occur on certain "distance ranges" (usually with the smaller scale ranges @ 5 miles - 8 miles) and works fine when set to other ranges. And then the problem goes away and all is fine. Not a consistent problem -- very weird!

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
DHeal - we'll take any info we can get! When you say "And then the problem goes away..", do you mean spontaneously, in the same flight? Or once it happens, do you remove the stick or do something else active to get things back to normal?

60av8tor

Same here; I'll have to wait to get to the hangar to get most of the info. I don't have a good idea on frequency because I predominantly use the terrain map. The few times I've experienced it, I believe it has always been after quite some time into the flight. Also, mine is consistently ok at 8 miles - all other scales are corrupt. Odd how removing and reinserting the drive fixed things - first time I tried that, however, so I'm not sure if it will resolve the issue each time it happens.

swatson999

Hi guys - we're still trying to chase this down, but haven't found a way to reproduce it here. Of those of you that have seen it

How reproducible is it?
How long in flight?
How long charts have been displayed?
Temperature in environment?
USB stick brand?
USB stick size?
Hardware version (SETUP MENU > LOCAL DISPLAY SETUP > SCREEN HARDWARE INFORMATION > HARDWARE VERSION).
Which modules and number of displays installed?
Does it happen every flight? If not, how often?
Is there some particular action that seems to "trigger" the behavior?
What are your display serial numbers?
What version of SkyView are you running?
What location in the world were you in when you saw it?

Not consistently reproducible...happens sometimes, but not others.
Several times to and from OSH, but hard to tell when during the flights it might have started; occurred first time I accessed the VFR charts after maybe an hour in flight first time, 1/2 hour the next.
Temperatures were comfortable...no excessive heating in the cockpit.
Stick brand...not sure at the moment.  32GB in size.
I'll get the hardware version for you this weekend; same with serial numbers.
1 SV1000
Seen over Wyoming, SD, WI

Like others, some scales were fine, others were repeated, and still others showed the "big pixels"...all during the same time period.

Althought I didn't check very much, IFR charts appeared ok.

Hard to believe it would be a memory stick problem without having multiple, unrelated errors on other charts (IFR, A/P diagrams, approach plates...although I believe those are single files for the diagrams and plates).

Note that *the same areas and zoom scales* of the charts which exhibited the problem appeared fine on subsequent flights, which indicates to me it's algorithmic, not data-driven.  It's almost like the tiling algorithm is using the wrong set of tiles for the selected zoom factor or something weird like that.  I don't know your data structures or code logic, but I can guess at ways to manually inject the error...

ETA: Have you considered a mismatch between the selected *display* zoom scale and the internal *mapping* scale (dataset)?

Good luck!

eric.reed

I love flying!
I have an additional question for everyone who has seen this problem. Do you all have ADS-B in?

cessnadriver850

I love flying!
Siminular type problem just cropped up on mt SV D700 sn 3003, 10.01.2777 sofware with adhars sn 5868 and gps 250. I do not have SA charts. Departing KCOE yesterday, just after lift off the map page went red for about 10 sec. the pfd page was Ok. Display in 50/50 mode. then about 30 sec after that it went complete yellow for a few sec. The rest of the hour flight behaved as advertized. This unit has only about 4 flight hours on it since install last Jan and is still in the 30 hour free map period.

60av8tor

Siminular type problem just cropped up on mt SV D700 sn 3003, 10.01.2777 sofware with adhars sn 5868 and gps 250. I do not have SA charts. Departing KCOE yesterday, just after lift off the map page went red for about 10 sec. the pfd page was Ok. Display in 50/50 mode. then about 30 sec after that it went complete yellow for a few sec. The rest of the hour flight behaved as advertized. This unit has only about 4 flight hours on it since install last Jan and is still in the 30 hour free map period.

It wasn't the normal terrain warning coloration?