1000 psi sender

jlbpropilot

I would like to use a 1000psi sending unit from GRT with my skyview. This is to monitor the air pressure for the air start system on an M-14 engine. Is this possible? Can i setup a widget to read that high of psi? Thanks

PhantomPholly

You will probably need to tell them what kind of output the sender has.

Any 0-10v sender that is linear over the range of pressures will work with old and new Dynon units; other types - it depends.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We have documented how to make your own sensors for SkyView. Please see here:

http://dynonavionics.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1268164287

You need to know the resistance vs. pressure curve or resistance vs. voltage. The inputs have a maximum of 5V, so if you have a 0-10V sender, you'd need to scale the sender with a resistor divider or another circuit. But most pressure senders output resistance which is easy to work with.

Every sender has a different curve, so you can't just hook up a random sender and tell it it goes up to 1000 PSI. You do need to "build" a sender for the system to understand it.

The D10/D120/D180 products cannot have senders added easily to them, which is why we added this new system to SkyView.

pbennett

If you don't understand that explanation by DS, then the answer to your question is "no".
If you have access to someone who can help you with the basic physics, then the answer is "yes".
A person characterising their own sensors has to have a certain level of knowledge.

Peter

keye

I've looked at the Dynon Wiki on sensor definitions and while initially it sounds a little complicated, in actual practice with a little help from Dynon, I don't think it would be that bad to develop a custom sensor file. I think it would be great if Dynon would put together a step by step example of creating a typical sensor file. If I've got the steps right you would:
 1) Gather data about the sensor; e.g. a resistive temperature sensor would be placed in ice water and the resistance value recorded, then several more points up to the boiling point of water. I think you need at least five or six different data points to develop the fourth order polynomial that defines the sensor, the more the better.
 2) Use a regression analysis program such as CadreReg (freeware available from CadrePro FEA) to develop the polynomial.
 3) enter this polynomial into the sensor file and fill out the other simple parameters and you're done.
 As long as you can measure the data points and enter them into CadreReg, you really don't have to understand how to develop the fourth order equation.
 I'm not sure if you have to plot Temp (or whatever) against resistance or if it needs to be plotted against voltage. A quick tutorial from Dynon would clarify this. Of course, it's also possible that I'm completely full of it. :) The best thing would be if dynon would give us a quick walk through on developing a simple sensor.