1090MHz Filter for ADSB 472 Issues?

turbopilot

Just an update. Sorry the filter does not seem to work for everyone but so far I am delighted.

My airport traffic pattern is below ADSB station coverage so I have been most concerned with reliable aircraft to aircraft coverage. Been flying the local area finding ADSB out airplanes and following them around outside of ADSB coverage. I now have stable returns on traffic when before the filter the targets would come and go.

Don't really know what normal operation of the 472 should look like but right now it is working as well as I could expect with the filter.

When in coverage of an ADSB station my weather continues to update better (based on looking at NexRad status).

Garrett

I love flying!
During a flight today I went into menu mode on Skyview and noticed that the number of ADS-B ground stations the 472 was seeing was the same as the GDL-39 was and have the filter installed on the 472. I think it makes a big difference for my setup.

woxofswa

I flew a Mexico trip in December with the 472 and the latest updates and never got air to air traffic on that trip. I installed the filter and am now in Mexico with a group and have had traffic the way it should be and that I never had down here before.
That filter might just be the cheapest solution to a problem that I’ve ever had on an airplane.

woxofswa

Another point of reference that may or may not be useful. On my December trip at 8500 feet I connected with the first US ground station at about 65 miles south of Nogales.
On this recent trip, with the filter, same route, same altitude, I had solid connection at 103 miles. Could be a fluke, but I’m pretty sure that the filter made a difference.
It was wonderful seeing traffic in Mexico as most of the areas we go do not have radar coverage except near Hermosillo.

breister

I love flying!
Since they can't fix the problem, Dynon needs to enable industry standard GDL90 receive capability over RS232 on the Skyviews, so we can use another known working ADSB receiver.

Their wholly-owned subsidiary Advanced Flight Systems already does this.
Or "partner" with Seattle Avionics and receive ADS-B IN data via WIFI from the MERLIN receiver.

:cool:

Yes please!