180 not coming on

sasi

Hi
I have a 180 and 120, since I have upgraded to 4.2
the 180 dos not come on I have to turn the 120 off and wait for 5 min or so to get the 180 to come on.The screen flashes very faint and you can hear it clicking but it dos not come on .
Can you pleas advise as why this has happened it was fine before the upgrade.
Regards Farry

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
What voltage is your aircraft battery at?

Did the laptop get disconnected during the update?

Do you have a battery in the D180? Does it turn on just by pressing the left button?

sasi

The battery runs at 12 to 12.2 .I had the up date don at Dynon dealer in the UK.and normally it turns on by pushing the first button on the left.
it seems like it is trying to start but it only flickers.The 120 has no problem only the 180 has gone funny.No battery in the 180or 120.
Regards Farry

jakej

I had a similar problem with 1 of 2 D100's - using a regulated bench power supply and slowly increasing the voltage it would 'start' at 12.4 volts, not before. Dynon suggested installing 5.0.

Jake J

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Farry,
I'm still not sure what your situation is, so here's a few more questions:

1) What is the voltage at the back of the D180? Have you only tried this without the engine running, or with the engine running as well? Do you have an emergency bus with a diode that lowers the voltage to your avionics?

2) Was the unit removed from the plane to be updated?

3) Does the D180 never turn on, or only turn on when you press the left button?

4) Does the unit turn on by itself with master normally, or did you always need to press the left button to turn it on?

5) What is happening when you wait 5 minutes? Does the D180 come on after 5 minutes?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Also, we did make some improvement in power on behavior at lower voltages for version 5.0 which was just released. Our generic recommendation, once you can get your units powered on, is to update to the latest version off our site.

sasi

Hi Yes it was removed to be updated .it comes on after I turn the 120 off.
I think I will take it out and have it updated to Ver5.
Regards Farry

R_Glick

Beta Tester
Re: 100 not coming on

I'm experiencing some of these same problems with my D100.  I was asked to send my internal Battery back so you guys should have it now.  After reading some of the others having similur problems, I'm beginning to think it is not the Internal battery.

My D100 has not been booting with the Batt/Avionics switch since the 5.0  upgrade.  But it's acting a little differently.  It seems more related to the outside temp.  When it dips down in the 20's it will not boot with the Batt/Av switch  but after pushing the left button a few times and waiting a couple minutes, it comes on and works fine from then on.  The other day I went out to test it again with the hanger temp at around 30F the D100 booted when I powered up with the Batt switch.
My Aircraft battery power is right at 12V per the Dynon.

Another thing I have noticed was that when I start the engine the Dynon reboots now.  Not sure if that is related to having the internal  battery out but since my EMS doesn't reboot with engine start I assume the D100 shouldn't either.

Rick

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Rick,

There are a few things to cover here.

1. We know of a problem with 4.2 where some units do not turn on if power isn't near or above 12.5V. This is only true for units without a battery, so if you have a good battery we don't expect this problem. That is why we wanted to take a look at the battery. Because even if you upgrade to v5.0 and get this resolved we want to make sure your battery is good.

2. There could be a totally unrelated temperature issue at cold temperatures. But it isn't clear which at this point. v5.0 may be a good way to rule out half of the possibilities.

3. The product rebooting during crank can happen depending on how low the voltage gets. This does indeed become moot if you have an internal battery because that provides a "switch-over" during crank. So once we get you battery back in there, I suspect that it won't be an issue. In general, the unit will reboot if the voltage goes much below 10V for too long. Not a real issue, just annoying for you, so the battery should do the trick there. And just so you know, EMS products behave a little differently than EFIS products because of circuit differences, so the behaviors will not exactly align.

So get your battery back in there and v5.0 and then see where things are. I suspect most of these issues will be resolved, except, I am a little concerned about the temperature part, so again, let's rule out some things and go from there.

Let us know, we'll make sure you get this resolved.

R_Glick

Beta Tester
Since I'm a Beta tester I have been on 5.XX for some time now. Currently I am still on 5.0.RCO. The other stuff makes sense.

Rick

sasi

As I understand the 180 should work from 5 to 30 V or am I mistaken.
I am very disappointed as my test pilot refuse to fly the aircraft  with this unit and it is not giving me any confidence either.The other question which remains,Why dos the 120 work OK as neither have a back-up battery.
Farry   :'(

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Farry,

To answer your question. The D180 voltage input spec is 10-30V not 5-30V. So cranking can be an issue here. As mentioned above, the circuitry is different for EMS products than it is for EFIS products. In the case of a D180 it qualifies as an EFIS because of the way we integrate engine and EFIS products. It's one of those things where those two products have a different history. There are a few good reasons why it is the way it is, but I know from your standpoint it feels weird to have the behaviors not be the same.

In a nutshell the both EFIS and EMS products should survive an engine crank, but EFISes sometimes need a battery to do so.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Rick,

Sorry, I blanked on the fact that you were a beta flying v5 software. So we may need to focus on the temperature issue.

sasi

+2 to + 10 C is this the problem? The problem is not when I crank the engine it happens when I switch the master to the Dynons with the engine off or on.
Farry :'(

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Sasi,

Give technical support a call at 425-402-0433 to troubleshoot further.

sasi

Hi I am in the U.K .Can you give me the full international code and I will be happy to phone you.
Regards Farry

sasi

I am in the U.K can you give me the full tel number including the international code please and I will be happy to phone you.
Regards Farry