#3 EGT Misses Peak

petehowell

Hello,

I use EGT to lean my O-320 aggressively.  I have certain settings where I know the EGT'S peak and then go LOP.  Yesterday all the cylinders accurately reported the peak except #3.   I could manually watch it peak and go LOP, but the lean mode would not catch it.   It caught the peaks of 1,2 and 4 just fine.   I repeated this 3 times on the flight.

Any thoughts? - I'll fly this weekend and see if it happens again.

Pete

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Pete,

What software version are you running on your EMS and is it a D10 or D120?

petehowell

Hi Mike,

I have a D10 and I have the latest firmware. Only recent change is uploading new checklists into the DSAB Linked D10A.

Cheers,
Pete

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Pete,

Did you stay in lean mode as you cycled up and down, or did you exit lean mode each time you tried to re-find peak?

We haven't seen this before so we're trying to catch it, and the more info you can give us, the better.

petehowell

Hi Guys,

I recycle the lean mode if I know that I've gone more than 15 deg past peak, and then re-lean.  That said, I think this may have been an engine problem.   I saw the same issue with #3 on a long XC yesterday.  I suspected an induction leak, so I pulled the cowl and and tightened up all the induction interfaces on #3.   Flew this morning and #3 was peaking right where I expected it.  

The EMS was not catching the peak b/c it was peaking much earlier than expected.  Sorry for the false alarm.    This does demonstrate the value of 4 cyl CHT/EGT monitoring and getting to know your engine.  The EMS was working perfectly.

Cheers,

Pete

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Just to clarify - do you think that cylinder 3 was already on the way down from peak when you entered lean mode?

petehowell

Yes, I do. I flew again last night and all is well.

I kept expecting a peak and never got it, b/c it had peaked so much earlier than expected. Sorry for the false alarm. I should have paid better attention.

Pete