430W / ARINC 429 problems

airguy

I have the full Skyview Classic suite in my 9A, with a Garmin 430W feeding the Dynon ARINC-429 for IFR nav data. It works like a charm in GPS mode but I don't get anything at all in VLOC mode. Is there something you can recommend as a starting point for troubleshooting? ILS reception is evident on the 430W screen, it just doesn't make it to the Skyview in VLOC mode.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Check the settings against those in the install manual. Are there are separate set of wires coming into the ARINC module for the NAV radio side? Are the ARINC settings on SkyView as specified? Are you changing the nav source over to the radio side of things on SkyView (if you're not using the autoswitch feature).

Garrett

I love flying!
If you just did a software upgrade read the release notes I had a similar problem a couple of years ago with my GTN-650 and it turned out to be operator error on my part. Is the Red LED flashing on the ARINC-429 box? Make sure a pin is not pushed back on the connectors. Hope that helps.

airguy

Check the settings against those in the install manual. Are there are separate set of wires coming into the ARINC module for the NAV radio side? Are the ARINC settings on SkyView as specified? Are you changing the nav source over to the radio side of things on SkyView (if you're not using the autoswitch feature).

Yes, yes but I'll check them again for continuity, and yes - in that order.

jakej

OP - "Make sure a pin is not pushed back on the connectors".

A continuity check will not show what Garrett said, you need to gently pull on the wires to see if the pins/sockets are locked in place.

GalinHdz

Has the VLOC part ever worked/displayed on the SkyView? You could be receiving the GPS data over RS232 (if connected) instead of ARINC-429. If so that is a big step in troubleshooting and fixing the issue.

:cool:

airguy

Has the VLOC part ever worked/displayed on the SkyView? You could be receiving the GPS data over RS232 (if connected) instead of ARINC-429. If so that is a big step in troubleshooting and fixing the issue.

:cool:

Hmmm... that's a valid question. I'm receiving the GPS data without a hitch, including glideslope. Have never received anything at all on the VLOC side.

I'm in the middle of replacing a failed fuel pump right now which will take a couple days, then I'm going to be back on this problem with a vengeance.

aguiraf

Check the settings. Here is mine:

Attachments

• AA30089F-6B24-4359-B0DF-24F42D0DA3FB.jpeg
    AA30089F-6B24-4359-B0DF-24F42D0DA3FB.jpeg
    691.2 KB · Views: 149

airguy

Wait - this just caught my attention.... not sure I'm doing that, not sure I knew I needed to do that.

I'm switching the HSI source for Skyview to the ARINC-429, and when the 430W is in GPS mode I get HSI commands to it from the 430W - but when I hit the VLOC button on the 430W I get nothing on the HSI. Is there a separate switching I need to accomplish on the Skyview to enable the radio side of the 429 to feed to the HSI instead of the GPS?

swatson999

SkyView Settings
SETUP MENU > SYSTEM SETUP > ARINC-429: (Configure MODULE 1 and MODULE 2 independently)
> INPUT SPEED: HIGH > INPUT 1: GPS x
> NAVIGATION SOURCE DISP NAME: (user selectable, 7 characters. The name entered here is displayed as the HSI source and the Flight Plan Source (if this device outputs a flight plan).
> INPUT 2: NAV x
> NAVIGATION SOURCE DISP NAME: (user selectable, 7 characters. The name entered here is displayed as the HSI source and the Flight Plan Source (if this device outputs a flight plan).
> OUTPUT SPEED: HIGH > ALLOW AUTO SWITCH: YES (LABEL 100P)

Setting ALLOW AUTO SWITCH: to YES (LABEL 100P) (which is the default, including after upgrading Software to v10.0 or later) allows the 430/530 to tell SkyView to switch from GPS to ILS or back when on an ILS overlay approach - SkyView will display whatever mode the 430/530 tells SkyView to be in. When in this mode and not on an approach, switching between the NAV function and GPS function must be performed from the 430/530.

If you want to manually select GPS and NAV from the 430/530, as you have done prior to v10.0, SETUP MENU > SYSTEM SETUP > ARINC-429 > ALLOW AUTO SWITCH: NO.

swatson999

But you say that you've never received anything from the 430's VLOC on the Skyview side...

IF you have the VOR side wiring correct between the 430W and the ARINC box (you do, don't you?), then it's a configuration problem on one side or the other.