5.0 firmware upgrade problems.

henriquerv7

Hi,

I have and D100 and D120 installed in my RV7. My last upgrade was for the firmware 3.0 in both units and everything worked great. But when i try to upgrade to 5.0 the following happens :

1 - when connecting the serial port on D100 and D120, the dynon pc programs recognize that exists a unit connect to PC (but doesnt tell wich one is it).

2 - when i asked to detect firmware version, the dynon screens change to yellow and the dynon pc programs and also the equipment seems stop responding. This happens in both D100 and D120. So, i have to end the program and power off the dynons. After turning on again everything comes back to normal.

I would like to know if you have any idea whats happening. the wiring i am pretty sure is correct since the first upgrade to version 3.0 was fine.

The differences from what i did in upgrade 3.0 basically is the PC operating system. First i was using XP professional and now i am using windows vista.

BTW, When installing the usb/serial adapter, windows vista didn'find the driver for it automatically on internet, as you said in your instructions, so i had to search for a compatible driver to install it. If you believe this could be the problem, is it possible for you to send me by email a correct driver for it?

Thanks in advance

Henrique Castro

PhantomPholly

Whenever computers behave differently from what I expect, my first question is always, "What changed?"

If you still have access to an XP computer, I would recommend going back and trying it again with that computer.

Also, is it possible you were trying to upgrade with both units powered on? I know that, for example, with the HS34 you have to first program the DSAB bus master unit (in my case a D180) with the HS34 turned off, and THEN program the HS34. But, wait for Dynon to clarify that, I"m guessing there.

henriquerv7

No HS34, nothing changed except for the laptop with vista...

I just wondering if when upgraded to version 3.0 may cause any internal error on dynons. Trying to find a laptop with XP to work on this again...

Henrique

PhantomPholly

Ok - do you have the two units connected via DSAB connection? If so, one of the units is the "bus master." If it works like with the HS34 + D180, you should have the "bus master" off and only the other device on, upgrade the NON bus master. Then update the bus master device.

Again, this may be irrelevant but I know it was mentioned for my combo.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
This sounds like either a serial port problem caused by those drivers, or a wiring issue. If wiring, it sounds like the PC tx line is connected, since you're seeing the yellow loading screen. If the PC rx line was not connected, the PC would never hear back from the EFIS, which causes the support program to give up after a few minutes and the EFIS to get stuck on the yellow loading screen until power is recycled.

With the USB-serial converter connected, dive into your computer's device manager, uninstall the current driver, then disconnect/reconnect the converter. The key is, when vista asks where you want to look for drivers, you want to tell it to search online (I think they call it Windows Update in the dialog). Note that these instructions only work for the blue/silver cable that Dynon provides, and only with Vista. Other USB-serial converters may drivers included on disc or the manufacturer's website.

Note that even when everything looks to be hung up on the support program, it should come back with an error after a minute or two if it doesn't hear back from the connected unit. Are you getting any error messages at all from the support program, or are you killing it before it comes back with one?

Louiscfi

I would like to know what the solution was for this problem? I just tried to update my firmware for the first time from version 1.0 on both d100 and d120 and had the same thing occur. Although I will add that I received an error message on my computer after a minute or so that said 1 of 2 things: either it didnt detect an instrument or it was getting bad information. I cant remember the exact messages, but they were something like that.

I too am using vista premium laptop.

henriquerv7

Re: 5.0 firmware upgrade problems. PROBLEM SOLVED

upgrade was successful after trying with windows XP.
I tried several times using 3 different notebooks using vista. All the same problem. After a while a borrow a notebook with windows XP and it works in first atempt!! (VISTA DRIVERS ARGHHH!  :mad: )

The only issue now is after upgrade from 3.0 to 5.0 i cant swich screens between EFIS and EMS.(EFIS DOESN'T SHOW EMS AND VICEVERSA)  Do i need to change something in the setup? DSAB CONECTIONS ARE CORRECT AS WELL AS I STILL LET THE SERIAL PLUGGED BETWEEN UNITS.

HENRIQUE

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
As of 5.0, you only use the DSAB wires (go ahead and disconnect the serial ports), but you do need to explicitly setup your DSAB network per the download page and the updated installation manual.

Louiscfi

thanks rv7.....i'm going to try to find time to try an xp laptop tomorrow...hopefully w/o any more probs.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Just so people know, we have had many, many customers upgrade using Vista and have done it ourselves, so it is completely possible.

Louiscfi

latest update for me is the d120 update went well using the xp computer...but my efis doesnt want to upgrade from 1.02. I'm still hacking out a solution and will report when we find one

Louiscfi

I have been talking to mike huff. I'll post the solution here when I hear back from him.

Louiscfi

I sent my d 100 back to dynon and they could not duplicate the problem so they upgraded it to 5.0 and sent it back...everything is working as expected.

echo_sierra

Hello,

I have this yellow screen that doesn't want to get away and my computer doesn't find the D-180... I understood it is a driver problem as I am running Vista on my laptop. So I tried to let Windows find the good driver with internet and it didn't find any, I tried to use the one from the RS232/USB manufacturer and it didn't work... I really don't know what to do now since I don't have a laptop with XP...
I hope that I will at least get my D180 as before when it will shut off as the back up battery will get empty!!!
Here is a link to the manufacturer driver, maybe it can help...

http://www.newlinkproducts.co.uk/prodinfo.asp?catID=4&prodID=89

Thanks for your help...

Eric

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
This is almost always a wiring problem. This means your PC sent data to the D180, but never saw a response. Check all three wires between the PC and the D180.

I doubt you have a driver issue since I've never seen the driver work only one way.

It won't hurt the D180 to just run down the battery at this point. Unless a load has actually started, no damage is done.

echo_sierra

Hello,

I am using the Dynon wires and have done update before without any problem (XP laptop)...

I will check the wires and get back to you

Eric

echo_sierra

Well, as I said the wires are all fine (not anymore since the EGT went out from the plug while unmounting the unit  :mad: )
So, I took the same USB/RS232 cable and bought a laptop with XP and everything worked perfectly...
If it is not a driver issue caused by Vista I would love to know what it could be!!!...
So please, give us a vista driver that work as you do for XP...
 ;)
Eric

PhantomPholly

Don't be too hard on Dynon - it may be Microsoft's fault.

After all, Vista is nothing more than a "certified" virus on your computer...

;)

echo_sierra

Don't be too hard on Dynon - it may be Microsoft's fault.

After all, Vista is nothing more than a "certified" virus on your computer...

;)

Yes, you are right... I am not gonna be too hard on Dynon but Bill is gonna hear me!!! lol ;)