9 cylinders

jlbpropilot

Hi, I am giving some consideration to the sky-view. From what I am reading it appears that you have up to 12 temperature inputs available. My question...is it possible to adjust the screen to show 9 EGT temps and 3 CHT temps instead of 6 and 6? In my situation I feel that EGT values are more important to me than CHT. Thank you.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Skyview actually has 14 thermocouple inputs for you to use.

You can split these up any way you wish. You can run 9 EGT and 5 CHT if you want. In the future, we'll support a second EMS module so you could do all 9 on both if you wanted.

PhantomPholly

Hey Dynon - you are missing another marketing opportunity!

None of the other EFIS / EMS units allow for 9 cylinder setups. There are boatloads of radial experimental airplanes out there...

;)

jlbpropilot

One additional question. I would be hooking it up to an M-14 radial engine. It is my understanding that the magnetos have a different gearing than some other engines so the engine monitor must be able to be adjusted to read this particular style of mag correctly. Is the skyview capable of that? Thanks

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
All of our EMS units, including SkyView, allow you to adjust the pulses per revolution for the magneto. It should work fine.

keye

Are you aware of any users who have successfully used the mag p-lead to pick up a pulse for the tach from an M-14,or any other radial engine? Remember, due to the odd number of cylinders, I think one rev equals 4.5 pulses from the mag. I know that the GRT engine monitor can use the p-lead input to generate a tach reading, but some other monitors, like the one I currently use, cannot. Presently I have to use a hall effect sensor to read engine RPM directly. For simplicity, I'm hoping to be able to use the p-lead when I switch to your Sky View system in the near future.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We can set our PPR to 1/2 numbers, and generally we work on anything the GRT will, so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

jlbpropilot

I think according to the GRT manual it needs to be set to 2.25 pulses per revolution. Please tell me that is possible?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Not sure why you would need 2.25, since the magneto goes off at 4.5 PPR. But right now we support 2.2 and 2.3 PPR, but not 2.25. I'll need to check and see if this is easy for us to add (there may even be a way for you to do it with no changes on our end)

jlbpropilot

Thank you for the response. I have not asked any other M-14 operators this question but am just going by the GRT EIS manual and they use 2.25. I will anxiously await your response and will do some checking to see if 2.25 is accurate.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Wild guess here, but perhaps the GRT is set to 1 for a 4-cylinder engine, implying a 9-cylinder setting would be 2.25.  Our setting is based strictly on Pulses/Revolution, so the setting would be 4.5.  

-Robert
Dynon Marketing

jlbpropilot

Your wild guess might make perfect sense, the manual says 1.5 for a 6cyl, 1.25 for 5 cyl, 1.75 for a 7 cyl, and so on.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The reason you may need 1/2 of what you expect is because some magnetos fire positive on one pulse and negative on the next pulse. If you only pick up the positive pulses, the number will be half what you expect.

Don't know if you'll need 4.5 or 2.25, it all depends on how the mags work and how the signal makes it to us.

It is possible to change a file on the SkyView and do 2.25 pulses, so we can support you if when you get it running you find that 4.5 is not correct.

keye

I don 't know if I'm the first one or not, but I've got the Skyview installed on my M-14 powered Pitts. It appears that the correct PPR setting for the stock Russian mags is 2.25 PPR. Everything else seems to be working fine. Now I'll see if Dynon support can hook me up with the modified tach sensor file.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Grab your current settings off of your unit by plugging in your USB stick and going to SYSTEM SOFTWARE > EXPORT SETTINGS.

Bring the USB stick to your computer. You'll see that there are a bunch of files that have been created on the stick. You're interested in the one with EMS in its name. Edit this file with a text editor, look for the lines that start with "pul/rev", and then change the value.

Then, plug the USB stick back into your display and go to SYSTEM SOFTWARE > LOAD FILES, and then select that same file you just edited with "EMS" in the name. You only need to load the one file, not the whole batch of them that you created before.

keye

Okay, I modified the file as instructed and reloaded it. I notice that the PPR shown on the info page in the Skyview still shows 2.2 PPR (thats what I was using previously to get the readout as close to accurate as possible), should this page display 2.25 or is the unit just using the correct 2.25 PPR internally?

keye

Dynon- any update on this? Since this is a geared engine it's difficult to get an accurate engine RPM reading with a strobe or other instrument to verify the Skyview is reading the correct RPM. I know the difference between 2.2 and 2.25 isn't much, but...

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
It's displaying the truncated number with just one post-decimal digit. If you re-export your new settings you'll see that the .25 is intact.