ADAHRS mounting

TexasRV8

Does the ADAHRS on the Skyview need to be mounted away from ferrous metals or other magnetic interferences like the current remote compass?

Just wondering if the unit need to be mounted some place other than behind the panel.

dbuds2

Anxious to hear from others on planned mounting location. I'm close to final riveting the aft fuse deck and would like to mount the ADAHRS while I still have great access.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Yes, the AHRS is also the magnetometer, so it cannot go behind the panel.

RockFLY

When two ADAHRS modules are installed for IFR redundancy, do they need to be mounted away from each other to avoid mutual EMI/EMC issues?

Cheers, Stu

dbuds2

Just started playing around with a mag compass in/around the rear baggage compartment in my RV8. My aft top fuselage skin is not permanently riveted to allow just this kind of addition and planning.  

It appears behind the aft baggage bulkhead, elevator bell crank and battery will be completely away (~12") from small steel parts, but, that's about 6 feet from the CG. It would also be a very awkward area to work in.

As soon as I got with in  a foot of the steel flap actuator the compass went goofy, so under the forward elevator push tube would be out.

Hope to hear from others where you're mounting and from D-Support about the recommendations for avoiding ferrous parts and being close to yaw center line

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The compass / ADAHRS doesn't need to be that close to the axis of the plane. We can handle about 6' side to side or 15' fore/aft. If all you are talking about is the mag compass, it could be anywhere in the plane.

Where you are discussing is the most popular location for the ADAHRS.

N707RW

I am the RV-8 skyview tester. I fabricated a bracket which goes from side to side of the airplane and sits on top of the upper longerons. The bracket is about 6 inches front to back. I used .063 sheet and riveted angles on both front and back edges.

I also replaced several screws in the canopy slide rail with brass screws.

I mounted the bracket about 6 inches in front of the bulkhead which is nearest the static ports. It's pretty far back in the airplane's fuselage!

So far it has worked great with no detectable magnetic issues.

And because it sits on top of the upper longerons, it is absolutely level with the flight axis of the airplane (defined as the upper longerons).

Hope this helps,

-- Rich

dbuds2

Thanks Dynon and Rich, I like your design Rich and will likely use that, If I ever have to get back there once the fuselage is closed out, I'll do extra yoga.  ;)

Dynon, funny thing that on this site "Dynon" isn't in your spell dictionary.

Is there any special considerations for routing of the D9 harnesses (interference or proximity to other wires)?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
No, you do not need to take any special care in routing the network cables.  

vmenkal

Hi there. Luv the new skyview system!

Appreciate if you could provide additional clarification on the best location for the ADAHRS. The specs recommend mounting away from magnetic interference. Seems like behind the baggage compartment in small planes is the most popular location but this is also close to antenna mounts which radiate significant magnetic fields.

How far should the the unit be mounted from antennas (com, transponder and ELT) for optimum performance?

Thanx Vic

legacy

Here is a photo of a Lancair ADAHRS installation.  I used a foam block and shaped it to the proper angles and then vacuum formed a carbon strip around the foam.  I then bonded the shelf to the airplane aft of the cargo bulkhead.  I had to make a small adjustment in roll.  I did this by using two aluminum washers.  The area was so clean that no adjustments were needed during the compass swing.     http://picasaweb.google.com/LegacyL2K/Public#5424406133986157410

N316RV

Building an RV-9A Tip up, with manual elevator trim. Fuse is already past Quick Build stage. Considering pitch autopilot servo, elevator trim cable, and steel shoulder harness cables, where is the suggested location for the ADAHRS module. Short of going all the way to the tail bulkhead, there does not look to be an ideal location. Anybody mounted module in a -7 or -9 with manual elevator trim?

Thanks
Alan Jackson

jbeaver

I'm considering using the AHRS bracket that Van's sells:

http://vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?ident=1269878047-48-684&browse=airframe&product=AHRS-mount

to mount my SkyView ADAHRS box, but this looks like it will put the ADAHRS about 6-12" from the pitch servo. Is this likely an issue?

thanks,

jason

schristo

jason, i had initially considered the same location and purchased the vans mount. i fitted it but hesitated to install it. in the end the location did not anticipate a magnetometer and is just too close to the servo. i ended up mounting mine on a couple of .63 angles across the longerons and am very pleased. others have mounted in a built trey above connected to the j-stringers in one way or another.

aguiraf

Take a look at the pictures in my blog. There are two pictures showing the location. Just behind the baggage compartment in my RV6A, N996US.
http://n996us.blogspot.com

Gus :eek:

sangliervolant

which hardware did you use for mounting ADAHRS.
stainless, brass, platenuts ?
lengths for screws ?

i'm searching in spruce aircraft catalog, but not easy for a simple problem.

thanks' for help.

Olivier  

RV8MW

I would like to know what everbody else is using to mount adahrs? I fabricated a shelf behind rear baggage compartment used stainless screws but used steel platenuts to mount shelf and adhrs. now i am second guessing install and thinking about moving it to upper longerons and not using plate nuts but it will put it closer to my strobe power supply. If support could look at my install and give me there opinion would be nice.web site http://www.mykitlog.com/mwarren

n223rv

I used stainless steel threaded studs from Grainger to mount my dual adhars. If you search this group for rv-10 and adhars you should find the thread with pictures.
-Mike Kraus

sangliervolant

no more about hardware ?
could we use steel platnuts for fitting ADAHRS ?
or only 10-32 stainless bolts and nuts ?
Is this a Stupid question ? :-/