ADHARS component failure may not be obvious

porterjames

I love flying!
I recently had an issue with the ADHARS. At engine startup the system had red X's and a notification that ADHARS had failed. I shut down the system, and engine and restarted. The screens booted normally with no further warnings.
After takeoff I was maneuvering to climb through a break in the ceiling. I engaged the autopilot several times and experienced an immediate uncommanded left turn. Each time I disengaged the autopilot. After climbing above the ceiling I leveled and again engaged the autopilot, again the airplane began a left turn. At that point I looked at the attitude indicator. In level flight the attitude indicator displayed an indication of a steep right turn. The heading, altitude, and airspeed all seemed normal.
I do not know at what point the attitude indicator became inoperable. Hopefully it would have been observed during taxi/run up. I usually look at it when I power up for takeoff but I can't specifically recall, only that if I had noticed it I would not have continued to take off. I ultimately restored the normal function by re-booting about 3 to 4 times. The last two reboots gradually reduced the angle of bank error.
Obviously, after returning to my home base I exchanged the unit for a re manufactured unit. I now include specific attitude/heading verification before takeoff, although adding a second ADAHRS may be a better safeguard to enhance failure detection.
Also, it should be noted that any ADAHRS failure notification (red X's) may have significant consequences that are subsequently masked by a reboot.