ADHRS location

n97kd

I love flying!
I'm want to install the primary and secondary ADHRS forward of my instrument panel in my Glasair III.
Any restrictions on the proximity of other Dynon modules like EMS and Arinc adapter boxes. Also, the ADHRSs will be about 18 inches behind the Safeflight vacuum pad alternator.
would installing them behind the seat back be better.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Don

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The AHRS is your magnetic compass. Anything up there near the engine and around all the electronics in your panel is just not going to work well. We really recommend the rear of the airplane.

jakej

Don

I'm a Glasair owner/builder - I'd mount the ADAHRS on LHS of aft fuselage ie away from gear pump & it's solenoids etc, also try & get them as far away as possible from the trim springs & trim motor - a third of the way up the fuselage side may be a good spot  ;)

HTH

Jake J

Garrett

I love flying!
I also mounted my ADHRS in the rear and up high to avoid any moisture that may get into the pitot static system from entering and damaging the ADHRS.

n97kd

I love flying!
I like the idea of mounting them up high behind the baggage close out. I don't have electric trim up there and my trim springs are located in the control tunnel in lieu of back by the rudder bell crank bulk head. So that area should be fairly free of magnetic disturbances.

What about GPS antennas? Outside on top or inside just beneath the upper fuselage or up on the glare shield?

Thanks all for the suggestions.

jakej

My GX60 Gps antenna is just underneath the skin (without removing any foam) near the dorsal fin, has worked just fine for 14 years ;)

Jake J