ADS-B and Dynon

ben1272

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking for several years now, as I approach my own panel build. A good friend and RV-6 pilot (blue mountain efis user) suggests I inquire to all the glass-panel manufacturers regarding how they plan (or dont plan) do incorporate ADS-B. It is going online sometime in 2009 as I understand it, and would be pretty nice to have. Will Dynon be doing an expansion module to add this to its EFIS line? What are all of your thoughts regarding ADS-B? With XM weather and TIS, it doesnt seem necessary. But it is a free service (unlike XM) and will be everywhere (unlike TIS).

Best Regards,

Ben

Thomas_Schaad

ADS-B would be real nice, because as you correctly state, it will be everywhere. Here in Europe we do not have a bbenefit from TIS although all our Garmins could do it. Not so with ADS-B, we all could use it and this would for sure bring Dynon another big step ahead :)

I fully support your suggestion, Cheers

Thomas

easyhouse

The biggest problem with this support currently is the only supported UAT is the Garmin GDL-90 at about $7000.00 per aircraft.   That breaks the bank of most of us.

Thomas_Schaad

I have a Filser TRT800 Mode S installed whih is according to the manufacturing engineer fully ADS-B ready. Filser avionics is already working themself on a kind of display that could be used then to display traffic.
This TRT800 was something around € 2'000.- which means about US $ 2'500.- or so. If it could be made working with the Dynon products, it would make up a smart, costeffective and nice Traffic Awareness Solution.

Kind regards

Thomas ;-)

DanJ

I checked their website and it didn't mention anything about ADS-B
Did you get this information directly from them? sure would be alot cheaper than a GDL-90

Thomas_Schaad

Hi Dan,

I talked to Mister Frost, de responsible developement engineer and joint manager. Maybe just call them, they are very open minded and happy to explain their plans.

Kind regards

Thomas ;)

TRCsmith

As for the need for ADS-B as I see it would not be as important as the other things Dynon is working on.
ADS-B is not a required until 2020 in the US, and that could change. I'm not saying that it wouldn't be a safety item for us. As avionics change within the next five years or so you could see ADS-B incorporated into different EFIS packages, or as stand alone unit.
Meanwhile keep your mode C working, head outside the plane, and enjoy the view.
Just one pilots opinion.
Enjoy ;)