ADS-B Not Receiving All AWOS Stations

jlakins

Dynon Support
Any idea when the bug referenced in the following thread will be resolved?
I did not see it in the releases notes for 10.0.

Jimmie

jlakins

Support
Before I posted I checked and I was not seeing METARS for 0E0 Moriarty New Mexico( K0E0 for METARS). Thats zero E zero.
I just checked K21D, KHHF, and KBBG all report METARS but
none are available in skyview 10.0.

Jimmie

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Jimmie,
Depending on what kind of ADS-B tower you have access to, you may only be getting METARS for about 100 miles around you. Even when you are getting a "high altitude" tower that gives nationwide METARS, it's only for larger airports (Class B and C I think) are you actually near one of those airports you list right now, given that they are each more than 100 miles away from one another?

Also, realize that METARS are sent in a weird order, and it can take up to 15 minutes of solid reception to have all METARS near you, even if you have the neighboring airport already.

Finally, check out the AIM for a through discussion on ADS-B coverages (7-1-11d in specific):

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/aim/aim0701.html

jlakins

Support
I am 8 miles from 0E0 (K0E0 for METARS)
I just returned from orbiting 0E0 for 25 minutes, 35 minutes in the air and still no METAR data for K0E0.
Looking at the WX tab I had airports out as far a 232miles but not the one under me.

Jimmie

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Jimmie,
Thanks for the info. We'll look into it. Maybe it is something new with airports with numbers (just a guess).

One thing you could do- if you haven't flown the plane for more than an hour since, please export a "Dynon Diagnostic Log" to the USB stick. We may want this in the future to help us see what is going on if it isn't obvious on our end.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Jimmie,
We did an analysis here, and we are getting all the airports we think we should. We have datalogs from various flights all over the USA. The following airports all work, so it appears our fix is working:

8S0
0J4
1A5
3J7
4A9
O54
L35

If you have a datalog from that flight, please get that to us so we can analyze and see if we have a bug or if 0E0 was not being broadcast. If you have any friends with another ADS-B system it would be interesting to know if they get the METAR too.