ADS-B traffic on iPad via Skyview WiFi

Spert

I’m looking for clarification on what is possible regarding display of Skyview ADS-B data on my iPad. The HDX Pilot User Guide is not clear about whether ADS-B traffic is ported to the iPad via WiFi connection, but comments on various threads made me think that this might be possible. The iPad and ForeFlight have no problem connecting to the Skyview WiFi and I am seeing WX data updates, so I know the connection is working. I do not see traffic on ForeFlight even though it is present on my HDX display. The ForeFlight drop down menu option for traffic, which is visible with home or Stratus WiFi connection, is not available when connected to the Skyview network.

Should I be troubleshooting or am I looking for a capability that doesn’t currently exist?

Rhino

Unlikely that's his problem. That patch is for an incorrect GPS reference date, and is usually applied to fix problems with systems getting no ADS-B data at all, which isn't his issue. Won't hurt to try it though.

There has been a problem with the latest iPad update and latest Dynon update not playing nicely together, but that's also unlikely because that usually prevents a wifi connection entirely. Nevertheless, go into Settings on the iPad and make sure Local Network is enabled. But again, that probably isn't the issue.

It's possible the HDX just doesn't pass traffic to the iPad by design, but Dynon will have to clarify that.

Spert

If you are running SkyView software version 16.0.4, then you might need to install this patch. You can download the patch at:
I believe I’m running 15.3.5, which is the latest certified version, though I will need to confirm.
Unlikely that's his problem. That patch is for an incorrect GPS reference date, and is usually applied to fix problems with systems getting no ADS-B data at all, which isn't his issue. Won't hurt to try it though.

There has been a problem with the latest iPad update and latest Dynon update not playing nicely together, but that's also unlikely because that usually prevents a wifi connection entirely. Nevertheless, go into Settings on the iPad and make sure Local Network is enabled. But again, that probably isn't the issue.

It's possible the HDX just doesn't pass traffic to the iPad by design, but Dynon will have to clarify that.
I’m getting good WiFi connection, no problem passing flight plans and seeing WX updates new enough to not be available from any other source, and confirmed that Local Network is enabled.

Based on your responses, it sounds like this definitely works in experimental variants. Hopefully, someone with a certified version will chime in and let me know if this works for them.

Thank you both for the ideas!

GalinHdz

If you are running v15 then this patch is not the issue. This problem has not been talked about on this forum with v15 (Experimental or certified) so it might be a setting on your iPad or the app as Rhino posted. Contact whatever app you are using (ForeFlight, FltPlanGo, etc) and see what they say.

Last edited:

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
SkyView sends Traffic and Weather via WIFI, but there was a bug that was fixed in 15.4.7, which isn't available for certified versions, but will be shortly when the Bonanza 36 is released (16.0 comes along with that)

That said, note that the Wi-Fi adapters aren't technically approved in Dynon Certified installations.

Leonard

SkyView sends Traffic and Weather via WIFI, but there was a bug that was fixed in 15.4.7, which isn't available for certified versions, but will be shortly when the Bonanza 36 is released (16.0 comes along with that)

That said, note that the Wi-Fi adapters aren't technically approved in Dynon Certified installations.
When do you think 16.0 may be released? I'm hoping ADSB in will be available on Wifi soon.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Don't have a precise date. It's tied to Bonanza 36/A36 release, which is in the final rounds of the approval process.

Rhino

The Bonanza 36 release got approved today, and version 16 was released.