ADSB -472

yadmas

I love flying!
I just wanted to enquire what range I should be expecting from the adsb 472 in. I only seem to be picking up aircraft within 10-12nm. Would be great to see aircraft out to 25-30nm. I also have aircraft within 10nm disappear then reappear on my display - was a little concerning.

jakej

I just wanted to enquire what range I should be expecting from the adsb 472 in. I only seem to be picking up aircraft within 10-12nm. Would be great to see aircraft out to 25-30nm. I also have aircraft within 10nm disappear then reappear on my display - was a little concerning.

GalinHdz

Traffic can, and will, disappear once in a while no matter what electronic system you use. Just like cell phones crop calls once in a while. No system is infallible and you can not rely 100% on them.

ADS-B helps you get a much better idea of where to look for traffic around you. Remember, you still need to look out the cockpit.

:cool:

Last edited:

brianreid

I love flying!
From the Skyview Pilot's User's Guide:
"To reduce clutter from targets that are far away, targets that are farther than
approximately 15 nm away from your position or more than 5,000 ft above or below your
altitude are not shown."

Steveden

It would be nice to be able to turn a greater range of targets on and off. I rendezvous with pilots from areas beyond 20-30 miles on many of my trips and their systems can see me but I can't see them.

brianreid

I love flying!
1. Per specifications of ADSB, the ground stations only broadcast traffic within a certain distance and altitude around you. If you are seeing any traffic beyond that it is because you are "piggy-backing" off some other aircraft's ADSB-out signal and you are seeing part of "their" airspace.
2. All aircraft are constantly moving therefor aircraft beyond a certain distance are irrelevant. They will be long gone before you ever get there.
3. If you are planning a rendezvous, you are all aiming for the same point. As you get closer to each other you will pick them up. The fact they might be able to see you at a farther distance could be due to various altitudes and distances from radar facilities and ADSB ground stations as well as limitations of the various displays.

Steveden

I understand the specs of the ADSB and how it works. I don't understand why information would be irrelevant beyond the Dynon's 18 miles filtering because it is still real-time tracking information. Other pilots I've flown with have built the Stratix/Rasberry ADSB systems and even if they are "piggy-backing" off some other aircraft, they can see me as far as 50 miles away and can follow my flight path at any given time. This would not be irrelevant information to me because it would be providing location status, weather detouring, approximate arrival times, flight problems, etc. All I'm saying is that this longer range information would would be helpful to some of us.

GalinHdz

I understand the specs of the ADSB and how it works. I don't understand why information would be irrelevant beyond the Dynon's 18 miles filtering because it is still real-time tracking information. Other pilots I've flown with have built the Stratix/Rasberry ADSB systems and even if they are "piggy-backing" off some other aircraft, they can see me as far as 50 miles away and can follow my flight path at any given time. This would not be irrelevant information to me because it would be providing location status, weather detouring, approximate arrival times, flight problems, etc. All I'm saying is that this longer range information would would be helpful to some of us.
If I will rendezvous with another aircraft I use my radio to get their general location if outside the DYNON display area. At that point ADSB is nice but not very useful. I use the ADSB until they are within 5 miles, then my eyes are looking for them out the window. I understand you wanting, but just like it would be helpful to some, it would not be helpful to others.

IMHO If I needed that capability that bad, I would get a Stratux/Rasberry ADSB system to augment existing capability.

:cool: