ADSB In and FLARM

G-RVMS

I have a two-screen Skyview HDX setup and have the SV-ADSB-472 unit and the SV-XPNDR-261fitted. However, in the UK (and I believe Europe), ADSB is not as widely used by GA as in the US. Therefore, I’d like to know if I can install a FLARM unit to show traffic as well (not instead of) as my SV-ADSB-472 unit or would there be a conflict or doubling of information on screen? I guess I could always fit a FLARM unit and use instead of the SV-ADSB-472 until we catch up with ADSB use?

jnmeade

Read Skyview System Installation Guide Revision AF page 4-24 for a discussion.
I'm not sure - aren't there several versions of FLARM in Europe?

G-RVMS

Read Skyview System Installation Guide Revision AF page 4-24 for a discussion.
I'm not sure - aren't there several versions of FLARM in Europe?
Got it, thanks. I guess the only thing I could do is have ADSB for one screen and a separate, FLARM, input to the other, although I think that would be messy. I think I’ll stick with my ADSB and use my Mk1 eyeballs for what it doesn’t pick up.

PaulSS

I love flying!
It is perfectly feasible to run Pilot Aware to the Dynon SkyView and it has been done before. If you search the Pilot Aware Forum you can see that it is really quite a simple thing to do.

AlanR

I have twin D1000's linked with Ethernet cable.
Can someone confirm please that in order to get Traffic from Flarm or PilotAware I need to do indivual Rx/Tx feeds to each D1000 unit?
The manual infers this is the case but I don't quite see why when the D1000's they are linked by Ethernet and Nav/Route data is only inputted via one screen.
If it has to be with traffic info so be it but if it can be just the one feed then it would make life easier.
Thanks,

Alan.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Yes, all serial devices are connected to both displays in parallel. The Ethernet on SkyView is only used for database syncing during the time you upload them. All other inter-device communications are handled via SkyView Network. Serial devices are unique in that they are connected to both displays. Behind the scenes, only one of them is actually listening at any time and automagically distributes data via the aforementioned SkyView Network. BUT, should either display in a multi-display system fail, the remaining one can still listen. So basically, it's a redundancy thing: Your serial devices will work no matter what in the case of a display failure.

AlanR

Thanks Dynon for that confirmation and explanation.
That is exactly what I needed to understand and comprehend.

Alan.