ADSB-IN?

JWS

My Flight Design w/Dynon HDX has ADSB in and out. Sometimes I do not see other aircraft that definitely have ADSB-out. HDX screen indicates that I am receiving ADSB-IN. Usually it is fine, but sometimes it will "pop on" during a flight. Today it did not display most other aircraft. I suppose something in the ADSB network could be inoperative, or could it be my unit has an issue? Today I was flying in relatively busy airspace in the vicinity of KMIA, etc, so I should be able to see commercial aircraft and more.

skysailor

Check in your transponder settings to see if TIS Traffic is on. Others have reported turning this off helps with your problem. My understanding is the screen gives preference to TIS traffic (which is the relay from the towers) and so may remove from your screen the traffic your ADSB 472 is seeing directly from other ADSB aircraft. With TIS traffic off all the traffic you see will be from the ADSB 472 which shows both direct received traffic and that which is uplinked from the ADSB tower system.

andresmith76

I love flying!
Check in your transponder settings to see if TIS Traffic is on. Others have reported turning this off helps with your problem. My understanding is the screen gives preference to TIS traffic (which is the relay from the towers) and so may remove from your screen the traffic your ADSB 472 is seeing directly from other ADSB aircraft. With TIS traffic off all the traffic you see will be from the ADSB 472 which shows both direct received traffic and that which is uplinked from the ADSB tower system.
Skysailor -

Can I ask where you got this info? I've checked the Installation & Pilot Guides and there is no mention about having the TIS Traffic setting to ON overriding and removing ADSB 472 received traffic from the screen.

Andre'

Rhino

It's not in the documentation because it's a bug, not a feature. And it doesn't always work.

skysailor

I believe the advice came from Dynon in response to a post here. I do not have a Dynon transponder so it does not apply to my plane but I have seen it help others. As Rhino says, turning TIS Traffic off is not required but it will not hurt and may help. Certainly worth a try given it is free and easy to change.