Advanced Autopilot

rfinch

I love the idea that, if I go unconscious, my copilot, with virtually no training, could simply manage the A/P setting on the Dynon and get down softly, only needing to flare.

Take a look at Vertical Power's products. They now have two models that will, on pressing a button, guide the aircraft to the best available airport, delivering it to a short distance above the runway. No throttle control, you passenger would have to pull the throttle back and then either flare or just let it kind of fly onto the runway. I don't think the VP products work with the Dynon APs though...only a couple other competitors.

Eventually I'd like to see Dynon have this capability, but it would be pretty far down my list of desirable features.

Bruno

'' I'd like to see the ability to select/build a vertical flight plan that allows you to set altitudes over points and have the plane climb/descend to those points as appropriate.

Also a Flight Director would be great as well.  Don't know if y'all have plans for that.

The ability to fly a hold would also be fantastic.  Set time/distance legs, point, and direction would make it easy.''
---------------------------------------------------

These will be really useful addition to the A/P which I must say work really well, just as good as A/P I use on 777s so it says a lot of its capabilities..

Standing by for goods news

Bruno 

skysailor

The idea of a panel approximately the size of a business card gives some planning help. I would echo that the faceplate should be printed on both sides in different orientation such that one side is for vertical mount and the other horizontal giving the builder the most options. Some standalone intercoms already do it this way.

Support, do you have an estimate of depth? I would really like to mount this in the console between the seats but depth will be an issue. This way the autopilot could be adjusted without having to reach up to the instrument panel which would be a big plus in my Glasair, a LongEze/VariEze or any aircraft with a semi reclined seating position.

JTD

hope you guys will consider more than one knob or concintric knobs for the heading and altitude on the new auto pilot controller

TJRV8

Thanks
Any update when the exact dimensions will be available for the advanced autopilot control panel?

Leon_Joubert

I love flying!
Your SV units are brilliant as human interfaces. Please use them as intended by ensuring ALL functions are accessible from the SV screen/buttons. Make additional hardware units for those who want them, but don't exclude those who don't from also enjoying those useful additions. Leon.

DonFromTX

I love flying!
I agree, my panel is full, and the proposed addition would cause me problems.

Your SV units are brilliant as human interfaces. Please use them as intended by ensuring ALL functions are accessible from the SV screen/buttons. Make additional hardware units for those who want them, but don't exclude those who don't from also enjoying those useful additions. Leon.

st8frm

I love flying!
I bought my plane already built and had an avionics shop install my (2) Skyview's, just to let you know I have very little avionics experience. I did plan my panel layout to be symmetrical with an extreme clean appearance. Adding another box would destroy the look of my panel (If I even have space) & require another trip to the avionic shop ($$$$).
Having said this, why can't Dynon use an existing button on the Skyview autopilot page itself to cycle thru vertical nav options, showing the current option above the button while tying all of the options to a SINGLE (1) exterior mounted knob??? Even get rid of the "Message" button on the autopilot page, freeing an additional button.  If a problem / message needs to be shown, "Force" it onto the screen where it can be viewed & then cleared.  One additional knob could be a bitter pill for some of us to swallow, but not a business card sized box. Not saying this can be done, but tell me why it can't.  Thanks for all of you work Dynon!!

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Anything's possible if you have infinity time and money. Without going tit-for-tat on each of your points, we'll have some AP news next week, and I don't think you'll be dissapointed. The first place you'll see it (before the website is updated) will be through our customer newsletter. Sign up here if you're interested!

johnsteichen

Wow, I am amazed at all the discussion on this topic.
I have no space in my panel like many, BUT I will find space because, the IFR environment requires simple straight forward control of the autopilot. During an approach is no time to use multiple function control knobs, for critical adjustments. Garmin knows this. Look at their new experimental EFIS system that is going head to head with Dynon. Theirs has a separate discrete AP control head. Buck it's up everyone. And cut dynon some slack. Judge the final product if you must, but at least wait for them to finish. Function is far more important than all the pretty panels that builders design

airguy

Dynon - with the Comm radio and Skyview 6.0 announcement today which details the A/P functions within Skyview - is there still going to be a separate A/P control panel coming later? Or has that gone completely out the window and you are sticking with on-screen control?

Bruno

Re-Post
------------------------------------------

Hello Support

As one who has complain and been waiting for a fully capable autopilot, I must say that what I'm seeing so far ( won't be able to try it out for a few weeks til ) is meeting what I was hoping for..

Nice work, I will fully test it and will report my findings but I've got the impression that I will like it a lot..

Thank you

Bruno

st8frm

I love flying!
Dynon:
I like what I see. No need for an additional head unit!!!!
YOU LISTENED !!!! Flight Director....Sweet.
Now, will 6.1 have air conditioning??? That's the only thing left.

shenweas

I love flying!
Will the new 6.0 firmware update allow the skyview to drive an external autopilot?

Also would this then allow the skyview to control the autopilot via different sources? In my case I have 2 seperate ARINC 429 communications to the Skyview (GPS and NAV) I need the Autopilot to be controled by whichever is active at the time when flying the approach.

Currently the Autopilot is connected directly to the GPS ARINC 429.