Airspeed Annunciation

DONK

I love flying!
Maybe it exists and I'm unaware, but why doesn't Skyview have a feature like MGL whereby the user can set an airspeed and interval and get an audio callout of airspeed every 3 seconds or whatever interval was set, starting at the set airspeed and below?
When landing, this provides timely airspeed updates while keeping the eyes outside.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
We have the AOA audio alerter if you're equipped with the Dynon AOA/Pitot probe. Other than that, one could make arguments about minimizing distractions during the the landing and flare, or a different argument about how numerical callouts during the final approach phase of flights are usually radar altimeter altitudes (in bigger airplanes, granted), but, really, the answer here is we'd never been asked for such a feature. We'll put it on the list to consider in the future though.

selaburdy

there is a German company with an interesting radar altimeter:
look at:
autonomoustuff.com/sms-micro-radar-altimeter.html  here are some of the videos on the website for a quick overview autonomoustuff.com/sms-micro-radar-altimeter-videos.html. Pricing for this radar is $4,375USD (includes Radar and Visualization software) each plus accessories and shipping costs.
The readout of this altimeter is: CAN and RS458.
Is there a possibility to bring this data in Skyview?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
SkyView doesn't have CAN or RS-485 connections, so some hardware would be needed.

It's a possibility if we have enough interest. So far we haven't seen a large market for radar altimeters in small GA aircraft.

What would you like to use it for? Just a simple height above ground display on the PFD or something more complex?

RVDan

I love flying!
On the topic of callouts- I do certification work on large airplanes.  The flight crew typically wants the callouts minmized on approach and usually only opt for 500 ft. They have MDA/DH callouts also.  Otherwise in areas with heavy radio traffic, to much is going on aurally and radio calls could get missed.

I get a 500 ft callout from my Garmin 495.  I find it most useful IFR.  Other than that I use it as a point where I want to be on a stabilized approach, landing checks confirmed. 

I would think airspeed call outs would be very distracting unless it was "airspeed low" warning, which is more important than communicating. 

Regards,
Dan Morris

Sent from my iPad