Aithre C0 detector

rjones560

I installed an Aithre C0 detector in my Skyview system. The Aithre was displaying substantial amounts of C0 through the Skyview, but 0 through the Bluetooth connection to my phone. It turned out I needed a software patch from Dynon to make it display properly. Dynon also has a widget for the Aithre, or you can set it up for a vertical tape. I prefer the round widget because I have a HDX 800 that I only use for engine instruments.

d3mac123

From where/whom did you get the widget? Asking because I have installed the Aithre system but, it is not reading anything from the Skyview (I just get the X over the widget) but it is working fine with the Aithre app.

jnmeade

It sounds like you found the Dynon widget but perhaps have not set up the sensor input files for it. In the same screen where you define where your fuel pressure, oil pressure, etc. are defined.

swatson999

How many more *years* is Dynon going to not put the Airthre data into the config files, and instead have this "secret" patch file that they send out when you email them to request it? There have been several updates to the config files since this device was first sold, yet they never seem to include it in the updates. Which means every time there *is* an update, users have to manually edit the freaking file to add the Airthre device.

d3mac123

No idea about what you mean by "files". I just configured the sensor mapping (under EMS Sensor Mapping) and the widget (under the Screen Layout Editor) numbers inside the Skyview. Do I need to setup anything else?

swatson999

d3mac123

That's exactly what I did :) I thought I needed to do something else, as I keep seeing the X over the widget.

Last edited:

swatson999

That's exactly what I did :) I thought I needed to do something else, as I keep seeing the X over the widget.
Then you haven't mapped the sensor to the widget, as JNMEADE noted. You first have to load a .sfg file that defines the sensor, then you have to map that sensor to a widget. See section 7, subsection EMS Sensor Definitions, Mapping, and Settings, in the Installation Manual.

rjones560

From where/whom did you get the widget? Asking because I have installed the Aithre system but, it is not reading anything from the Skyview (I just get the X over the widget) but it is working fine with the Aithre app.
First of all I would make sure you have the latest software installed on your EFIS. I installed the Aithre EX2.0 C0 detector. It has to be wired to an “enhanced” lead on the EMS. I used pin 31. If that is not available check the Dynon EMS manual for which ones are “enhanced”. You have to load the sensor file from Aithre that is correct for the instrument available from Aithre. Then there is a patch that you need to get from Dynon to get it to read properly, otherwise it will read high. I do not know if the patch is incorporated into the latest software revision or not. The circular widget is also available from Dynon and Aithre, but you can also use a vertical or horizontal scale for the gauge. I used the circular one for 100% mode on my HDX800 and a vertical scale in 50% mode and bottom band mode. I had a lot of trouble getting it to read correctly in the Dynon HDX1100 and the HDX800. Installing the latest software version finally solved the problem.

Remember to set pin 31 to PRESSURE, the Aithre sensor file (I can’t remember the exact name) label it C0 ppm. I would think most Dynon owners know how the use the EMS screen editor to put the gauge where they want it and choose the style of gauge they want.

When you get it installed and working properly it will go to 100% scale for 1 minute every time you power it up, then drop back to background C0 levels which seem to be 1-3 ppm.

If it is working fine when reading it off the app, then it is wired correctly and working fine. The problem is in the Dynon settings or software.

rjones560

How many more *years* is Dynon going to not put the Airthre data into the config files, and instead have this "secret" patch file that they send out when you email them to request it? There have been several updates to the config files since this device was first sold, yet they never seem to include it in the updates. Which means every time there *is* an update, users have to manually edit the freaking file to add the Airthre device.
That is a good question. I had to install the sensor file again after the latest software update.

rjones560

Then you haven't mapped the sensor to the widget, as JNMEADE noted. You first have to load a .sfg file that defines the sensor, then you have to map that sensor to a widget. See section 7, subsection EMS Sensor Definitions, Mapping, and Settings, in the Installation Manual.
I did all that and it still would not work right without the last software update from Dynon.

swatson999

I did all that and it still would not work right without the last software update from Dynon.
OK, that's weird, because I got mine several years and several software versions ago, and it worked great right at the get-go once I got the .sfg file additional data, edited mine and uploaded it.

Not sure what the EFIS *software* would have to know to make it work properly...it's just another device inputting data to a pin.

Rhino

Aithre made a small change to their modules last year that caused problems on some Dynon displays. The latest software update may include a fix related to that.

rjones560

OK, that's weird, because I got mine several years and several software versions ago, and it worked great right at the get-go once I got the .sfg file additional data, edited mine and uploaded it.

Not sure what the EFIS *software* would have to know to make it work properly...it's just another device inputting data to a pin.
I would agree. It makes no sense to me at all. It’s just what I observed as I was trying to solve my problem. The Tech Support people at Dynon don’t know why either. Perhaps there was some line of code that got corrupted somehow and the software update fixed it. The software update also removed the sensor file and I had to install it again. That was not supposed to happen either.

d3mac123

First of all, thank you all for your replies. I really appreciated them. I did exactly like @rjones560 mentioned. Wired everything as described (sensor is working with the app so, wiring is good). Downloaded and installed the widget from Aithre site (latest update is from Dec. 2020, if I am not wrong) in the latest Skyview update (mine is a HDX1100) - indeed I had to do it again after a software update from Dynon.

After installing the Aithre file, I configured the Sensor Mapping (the only way to see them is after installing the file) and set the widget in the bottom EMS bar. The only different thing I did (I will try it later today or tomorrow) was to select a simple DOT widget (instead of a vertical/horizontal scale gauge). I just set my DOT widget to turn green/yellow/red.

swatson999

Wired everything as described (sensor is working with the app so, wiring is good). Downloaded and installed the widget from Aithre site (latest update is from Dec. 2020, if I am not wrong) in the latest Skyview update (mine is a HDX1100) - indeed I had to do it again after a software update from Dynon.

After installing the Aithre file, I configured the Sensor Mapping (the only way to see them is after installing the file) and set the widget in the bottom EMS bar. The only different thing I did (I will try it later today or tomorrow) was to select a simple DOT widget (instead of a vertical/horizontal scale gauge). I just set my DOT widget to turn green/yellow/red.
So let's clarify a few things.

The sensor is working with the app, which means that it has *power and ground* correct, but that doesn't mean the signal wire to the EMS is good. To which pin did you connect the signal wire?

Second, let's correct terminology. You didn't download a *widget* from Aithre...you downloaded a *sensor file* which included the definition of the sensor. Not the display element(s) which we call widgets. I'm not being pedantic...correct terminology will keep you and everyone else from getting confused as to what is going on, what you did, what's working or not, etc.

Yes, the only way the system is going to be able to map a sensor to a display element is if it knows about the sensor in the first place, which is why the .sfg file has to include the Aithre device in the first place.

Lastly, you should learn how to download the config files, find the parameters of interest, copy them and paste them here so people can see what you've done to the display widget (this is the correct place to use the word "widget").

Best of luck...let us know how it goes.

soarhead

I installed mine last year and didn’t need any “secret file” from Dynon. Just followed the Dynon SV specific instructions from the Aithre website and downloaded the widget from their site. Set it up as a pressure sensor and that’s it. The last SV update cleared the widget but I just put it back.

Attachments

• 864225C3-ABCE-40E6-9C95-F8F1BBB1E683.jpeg
    864225C3-ABCE-40E6-9C95-F8F1BBB1E683.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 94

Rhino

I asked Jim Ruttler from Aithre to weigh in here. If he doesn't respond in the next couple of days, and your problem still exists, I suggest you contact him.

swatson999

downloaded the widget from their site
Sigh. It's not a widget. All those arcs and graphs and numbers on your EMS display are widgets.

The thing you download from Aithre is a "sensor configuration file", which contains a set of sensor definitions, such as the Aithre CO monitor.