Alternator / Battery?

Monty

Hello all. I was flying home yesterday and my battery started to overcharge. Voltage rose to high 14's and just entered low 15's when I decided to cycle my battery master. Shortly after turning my battery back on, my dynon VPX faulted and alternator turned off. Returning to home field I have inspected alternator wiring, etc and tried another start. Initially at lower power settings everything was working fine. Shortly after getting airborne the alternator/VPX faulted again. Is there any chance these indications could be a result of a bad battery? The alternator was replaced last year and I am finding it hard to accept that alternator failed this quickly. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Carl_Froehlich

Buss voltage going high cannot be from a bad battery. Only your alternator drives voltage when it is about the battery open circuit voltage. Your alternator or alternator voltage regulator has gone south.

What alternator are you running and voltage regulator are you running?

Carl

airguy

What was the VPX fault? If it's overvoltage, Carl is right, there is only one source for that, it's the regulator or the "sense" wire feeding bus voltage sensing to the regulator.

Monty

Thank Carl and Airguy. I have an internally regulated alternator. I looked at the sense wire and it seems intact at the connection point. The internal wire bundle also seems good. I am looking at B&C alternator for replacement. IO-520 motor. Anything else I obvious I could be missing on the sense wire? Really appreciate the comments as I figure this out.

rjones560

Hello all. I was flying home yesterday and my battery started to overcharge. Voltage rose to high 14's and just entered low 15's when I decided to cycle my battery master. Shortly after turning my battery back on, my dynon VPX faulted and alternator turned off. Returning to home field I have inspected alternator wiring, etc and tried another start. Initially at lower power settings everything was working fine. Shortly after getting airborne the alternator/VPX faulted again. Is there any chance these indications could be a result of a bad battery? The alternator was replaced last year and I am finding it hard to accept that alternator failed this quickly. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
What kind of alternator? Some of them have a bad reputation for failing early. The B&C are a little more, but they last to TBO and will go another TBO with an overhaul. If it is a Plane-power I am not surprised at the failure. You want top quality accessories if you don’t want the aircraft to leave you stranded on the road.

Carl_Froehlich

Assuming this all worked at one time, then:
- The “source” connection to the alternator for buss voltage might have a bad connection.
- Odds are the internal voltage regulator has gone south. Search the VAF post on Plane Power for part replacements.

Carl