Altitude above ground

rvator51

I am assuming with the synthetic vision, that the Skyview system knows the altitude of the ground below it. So, how about putting the altitude AGL at the bottom of the altitude tape?

TRCsmith

And where would you like it to read the altitude, from below you or a mile in front of you?? To be accurate it would cost because on software and hardware space. Good thought but just another distraction (my opinion) ;)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We will have this in the next system. Maybe not in the first software release, but soon-ish. As with all our other stuff, it will be an option if it's displayed.

It will never be like a radar altimeter in terms of accuracy, so don't use it to land blind, but there are times it is kinda interesting to know that you are 1001' above the ground ;)

jakej

Some avionics, eg MX20 MFD, not only display AGL but give a Terrain Warning when you're within 2 minutes (based on ground speed & 500 feet above) of terrain ahead. I'm assuming ,and hope, that the Skyview will do this sometime in the future ;)

Jake J

wv4i

The Garmin GPS series have pop up terrain and obstacles already, with audio alerting avail to intercom, etc. I would think that an EFIS capable of generating accurate obstacle/terrain warnings would need the GPS WAAS enabled input anyway, so redundant? It would also need a huge 3D terrain database for comparison against altitude, groundspeed, vertical speed, even aircraft configuration and throttle setting, etc. This would all get very expensive for the average E-AB owner/operator, and typical Dynon target market price range?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We expect to have all of those features in the system eventually. The database is huge, as mentioned, but it is already in the units when they ship. It's the same database that allows us to do synthetic vision.

We'll be selling a small, inexpensive, 5Hz WAAS puck if you don't have another GPS in the plane.

All of this is easily in the Dynon price range.