altitude encoder

Letpmar

I have heard that at present there is a problem with the altitude encoder on the D100. I have a D100 and a Garmin GTX328 transponder. Obviously I want it to so the flight level to radar stations. But I understand if I change the D100 pressure setting to a local QNH it will send this to the transponder. Is this true and is a fix on the way.

Pete

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
This is not a bug, or a problem. This is the way all altitude encoders work, and is the way they are supposed to work. All transponders transmit pressure altitude (29.92) so that they all use the same reference, and aren't reliant on the pilot setting the altimeter setting correctly.

Letpmar

I understand this but was led to believe that if I set a QNH on the D100
say 1005 which I am flying on locally this will be sent to the 328 which will then be displaying 1005 to the unit interrogating the transponder and not 1013 at it should be.

Pete

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The output to the transponder is always at 29.92/1013 just like it should be, no matter what the setting on the screen is.

mikey1ten

I have a D100 and an older Collins transponder, Rt-359, i think.  I have the Dynon encoder adapter thingy installed.  How do i know which string I am supposed to use for the encoder to work?  I have tried formats 1 and 2 with no results.  The transponder puts out just fine, ATC just doesn't receive the altitude.  I would feel better if I knew which format was correct, instead of just trying them one at a time and not getting any results.  Thanks.  Michael.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
It's format 1 that is used with the converter.

The install instructions for the converter are on page 6-29 of the latest D100 install guide., including all wiring colors and software settings needed.

rv8apilot

My wiring harness from Stark avionics has a wire from my Garmin 327 to be connected to pin 13 on the D100. There is a white wire bundled with this wire in my harness (from Stein Air) coming from pin 21 on the D100 which is the serial encoder ground. Exactly where should this ground wire terminate? If it goes to the transponder, where is it connected? Thanks.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
It goes to any ground on the transponder (even the chassis) to guarantee that the transponder and EFIS have a common ground.

gcarnforth

Hello,
I have the Flightdek 180 and a garmin GTX-327 transponder.

I am not getting a read opn the transponder, and believe it is wired properly. Is there a setting on the Flightdek unit that must be turned on for the encoder before I begin to trace the installation?

Thanks Greg Louisville RV7

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
You must set the D180 to format "4" and you must set the 327 to "Icarus"

mikey1ten

Hello,
I just got back into the air after an engine rebuild and need to get the encoder working. (D100 with dynon convertor and Collins rt-359 transponder)  It looks like it is all wired correctly.  What do you suggest I look at to troubleshoot this setup?  Is there anything i can look at on the computer to check outputs?  Where do I start?  Thanks.  Michael.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
If you're using the encoder converter, make sure you have format set to 1 under the ALTENC setup on the EFIS.