Altitude Tape

vonsquid

If it's not too late, I would suggest you drop the leading zeros from your altitude tape.  They are confusing and not necessary.  Otherwise I think your air data display is very clean.  

I might also suggest displaying Ground Speed below the speed tape in lieu of TAS... I think ground speed is more relevant to most pilots as it directly impacts range.

SV-D1000.gif

airguy

Groundspeed would only be available with GPS inputs - not all users will have that. True airspeed is also an important number for many higher performance experimental aircraft (like the RV/Lancair/Glassair series) that are capable of high altitude flight and need to keep flutter margins in mind (dependent on TAS, not IAS). Any users with GPS input will also have the groundspeed directly on their GPS data screen as well as their groundtrack.

Aside from that, yes I agree about the leading zeros - Dynon, please lose them!

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Thanks for your feedback. Note that the symbology that you see here isn't finalized yet. GPS ground speed will be able to be shown, though exact placement is TBD.

PhantomPholly

Groundspeed would only be available with GPS inputs - not all users will have that.

Not only that, but if you HAVE a GPS it likely displays that number, along with your ETA/ETE to next point / Destination. I would suggest GS is a "nice to have," and simply make whether it appears on the Primary display optional as many fields are.

True airspeed is also an important number for many higher performance experimental aircraft (like the RV/Lancair/Glassair series) that are capable of high altitude flight and need to keep flutter margins in mind (dependent on TAS, not IAS).

Or, just for bragging purposes!   :D

dragonflyhkg

Re: TAS & GS Display

I feel that it's the "grouping" of information that should be considered here.

Displaying information in relevant groups around the PFD or NAV display aids in the visual scan and thus situational awareness.

To that end, the TAS and GS grouped together gives a clue to the headwind/tailwind component. The next step would be to add a wind velocity (numerical direction and speed) with a graphic direction vector, thus completing the picture.

Regards, Mark

dragonflyhkg

The other point to consider is the delineation of "primary" information on the Primary Flight Display.

TAS, GS and WV on the NAV display is relevant and declutters the PFD for more important "primary" information.

Regards,
Mark

dragonflyhkg

Following on with the philosphy of display information, displaying the resolved wind components, i.e. headwind/tailwind and crosswind, near the airspeed tape is a real benefit when flying an approach, VMC or IMC.

Example;

HW 7
XW 12

Regards,
Mark