Ammeter Reading

tebannon

I love flying!
The ammeter reading has never worked properly since my D1000 was professionally installed two years ago. Wiring has been checked, fuses verified and a lot of head scratching has taken place. He's given up. The unit will sometimes read numbers up to 99A before it "X"s out on me. I'm pretty sure my alternator is not that big and being an amateur I have no clue what to do to get it right. I would kind of like to know if I am facing an imminent electrical failure. Anybody got a solution for me?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Contact Dynon Avionics Technical Support - 425-402-0433 to obtain a Return Material Authorization (RMA) to have your SV-EMS-220 module checked and likely repaired.

The ammeter reading has never worked properly since my D1000 was professionally installed two years ago. Wiring has been checked, fuses verified and a lot of head scratching has taken place. He's given up. The unit will sometimes read numbers up to 99A before it "X"s out on me. I'm pretty sure my alternator is not that big and being an amateur I have no clue what to do to get it right. I would kind of like to know if I am facing an imminent electrical failure. Anybody got a solution for me?

tebannon

I love flying!
Is there no onboard diagnostics that can be performed? Something that I can direct my installer to? Removing that module will ground me for a long time.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The quickest and most reliable test you can do is to unplug the D37 connector from the EMS module and short out pins 25 24 and 25 on the EMS. When you do this, the amps should read zero.

If they do read zero, you have a wiring issue. If they don't read zero, your EMS is broken.

tebannon

I love flying!
We ran the recommended test and it strangely read zero regardless. My electronics tech decided to try another shunt and that solved the problem. Replaced the shunt and now the ammeter is reading correctly.
I noticed discussion about shunts in other strings and it appears that this may be a problem with Dynon shunts.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Hopefully the replacement AMPS shunt is the same characteristic as the Dynon Avionics AMPS shunt - for each 1A through the shunt, 1 mV is generated at the sense terminals.

This is the first actual failure of a shunt that we've heard of. We've replaced them for breaking the base, but never (that I'm aware of) for an actual failure of the shunt.

If it didn't get disposed of, can we arrange to get the defective shunt sent back to Dynon Avionics for analysis? Please email support AT dynonavionics DOT com.

We ran the recommended test and it strangely read zero regardless. My electronics tech decided to try another shunt and that solved the problem. Replaced the shunt and now the ammeter is reading correctly.
I noticed discussion about shunts in other strings and it appears that this may be a problem with Dynon shunts.

tebannon

I love flying!
The shunt was actually replaced with another Dynon shunt. Unfortunately, the old one has been thrown out and cannot be returned.

rgcrothers

I love flying!
I have two separate busses one for regular stuff and one for very important stuff that keeps the engine running. I would like to monitor the current draw from both busses. I see only one input available for reading amps. Can I wire the two shunts together to combine the outputs together and get a correct reading of total amps in use?

I have two shuts but they look a little different, is the output of various shunts the same or do they need to be a matched pair?

The shunts are mounted just prior to connection to the fuse blocks.

Randall

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
There's only one shunt input, and there's no way to wire them together without causing "bad things" to happen (that involved smoking wires and worse.) You can use the GRT current sensor, and our AFS division also has a similar sensor. The GRT sensor is already supported by SkyView. For the AFS one, we have the characterization for that internally here, but it hasn't yet been released publically. If you get the AFS sensor, let us know and we can get you a preview of the engine definition file that enables it to work with SkyView.