Amp meter goes off scale when radio is keyed

n97kd

I love flying!
Don - are they go full scale only when transmitting? Or anytime it's on?

Only when transmitting. At the low end of the frequency band (118.00) the MP goes full scale. At the high end (136.00) it only increases about a third or less.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So I'm pretty sure we have back here the same EMS module that we just sent you. Ie, what's in your airplane now is the original one. Does that match what you think? Or do you believe that you swapped the EMS modules?

n97kd

I love flying!
Yes i sent the the EMS unit you sent back. It was a reman unit and still had a problem. I talked to Mike on the phone about it.
I put my original EMS unit back in my airplane, put a new EGT probe in and now it work great.
I still have an issue where the manifold pressure reading goes to full scale when I transmit on either comms.
In my conversation with Mike he wasn't sure about a fix.
I think the Glasair with internal antennas radiate RF all over the place and the MP sensor picks it up. Metal airplanes I believe shield some of the RF from getting into the wires.
I'm going to post on the Glasair forum and see if others have similar issues.
I may need to put shielding on the sensor wires.
I'll let the forum know if it helps..

Ronsim

I love flying!
I have the EMS 120 ---- I get the "high current" alarm and the Amp reading goes off scale when I push the transmit button. It really just started doing that recently ---- my antenna lead is on the opposite side of the airplane from my hall effect pickup for the amp reading.

Will the mentioned filter take care of my problem?

Thanks,

Ron

jakej

Ron

What airframe type do you have, composite or metal ?

Coax , is it RG58 or RG400 ?

Antenna brand ?

Was anything done with antenna cable or avionics recently before this 'event' ?

Jake J

Ronsim

I love flying!
Jake --- RV-6A (Metal) ---- RG58 ---- Comant external antenna.

Only recent work was to hook up my panel GPS to the EMS through pin 19 (I think that was the pin #) to get the HSI on my D10A.

jakej

Jake --- RV-6A (Metal) ---- RG58 ---- Comant external antenna.

Only recent work was to hook up my panel GPS to the EMS through pin 19 (I think that was the pin #) to get the HSI on my D10A.

Good info. You can use the RV as is, no harm will be done to the system. I'll send you a pm for off line troubleshooting & results can be published later if you wish :)

Jake J

Ronsim

I love flying!
Sorry, I should have updated this, after "fixing" the issue -- after trying many, many things, including antennas, coax, etc., I finally followed Jake's advice and looked at the wiring to the EMS. --- I had not trimmed off any of the wire harness not being used, so I had a bunch of wire, neatly coiled behind my firewall --- Jake suggested trimming off wire not being used, and ensure that I did not have "coils" in the wiring harness. ------ problem solved! --- no issue with amp readings during comm transmissions (I still have the amp readings jumping around 5-6 amps, continually) but I can live with that.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Ron