Anyone Tried ChartData Manager 6.6.0.2?

jnmeade

I will confess, I have low confidence in Seattle Avionics and will delay installing the new version of ChartData manager until I get some sense from the field that it is working satisfactorily.

RV8JD

So I guess I'm a glutton for punishment, since I "upgraded" early to SkyView v16.2.4 and ran into a couple of its bugs and had to downgrade back to v16.0.8 with some rigamarole. So why not try my luck with SA's new ChartData Manager v6.6.0.2. But I digress.

Note that I have been running SA's ChartData Manager v5.4.0.540 previously with no difficulties or problems whatsoever. But your post spurred me on to download and install ChartData Manager v6.6.0.2 and check it out. Installation went smoothly.

I then ran ChartData Manager v6.6.0.2 and it worked fine with no problems. I have not used the newly updated USB drive yet in my SkyView Touch, but I don't expect an issue there.

I'm running ChartData Manager on an iMac running a Parallels VM with Windows 10.

YMMV!

Last edited:

airguy

I was one of the beta testers for 6.6.0.2, and it is considerably faster for the downloads to the USB sticks, at least using USB 3.1 sticks.

One other "feature" of the new software also comes with a bug that has not yet been fixed. For Dynon users, the program will automatically download the latest Dynon obstacle/nav database and put it on the USB as well, with your SA charts. The "bug" part is that cycle after cycle, the program does not delete the OLDER dynon obstacle/nav database on your computers C: drive where the SA data is stored. Over time those files can add up and take up space. Note that you still need to update the dynon obstacle/nav database on your screen the same way, using the Setup menu - it's just that SA now automatically pulls it and places it on the USB for you, instead of you having to go to Dynons website and download it.

Other than that, yes I think 6.6.0.2 is better. Not what I would call good yet, but it's definitely progress. The user interface is still a kludge but we're headed the right direction.

RV8JD

For Dynon users, the program will automatically download the latest Dynon obstacle/nav database and put it on the USB as well, with your SA charts.
Thanks for that info. I hadn't noticed it yesterday so went back and ran it again today with another USB drive (to make sure it worked twice in a row!), and the Dynon SkyView US Aviation/Obstacle Database file was indeed put on the USB drive at the Root level.

Last edited:

N42AH

After seeing this message yesterday, I updated my chart manager on both my Windows laptop and my Mac, I am very pleased with the way it works. Expeciall like that it added the file for Dynon SkyView US Aviation/Obstacle Database file automatically. One less step I have to perform.

HFMan

I recently updated to 6.6.0.2. I would say it is NOT faster than the previous version. I'm watching it update one of my USB 3.1 sticks (in a 3.1 port on a modern computer) and so far it took 55 minutes to update the Airport diagrams. It is still working on the Approach Plates and Airport diagrams, as well as the VFR charts (17 states selected). The whole process took far less than an hour on the old release. Not a happy camper.

CanardMulti

I updated a week ago. Seems to be a bit crisper and there was a very modest increase in download speed, call it 10% to 20%. The overall time it took seemed to be noticeably longer than normal but then it dawned on me that the data base items that did not change may have been dumped when the new version was installed so the entire data base may have needed to be downloaded. We'll see next month.

I did notice in some of the notes that it requires a 64 bit machine, and won't work on older 32 bit equipment. Seems possible that could account for the crisper feel of things, even though it pretty much looks the same on the front end.

Ken

Last edited:

cbretana

I have been using it since it was released, and am generally pleased. The last version was horrible, and this version seems to have corrected most of the issues I experienced with the prior one. (Download stopping in midstream over and over again, and having to be restarted was most annoying.)

Merlinspop

I rotate 2 USBs into the plane, plus I like to keep a backup USB, so I update 2 or 3 at a time. This cycle is the first with the new software. Some things I've noticed:

- The Status bar and Activity Monitor are terrible. The bar fills up when it first checks something and stays full from then on. The update monitor will say the update is complete, but many of the indicator balls are not green.
- While the update is still ongoing, the Cancel Update button changes back to Update Now. That button state should only change when complete.
- When a USB is completed being updated, and properly ejected, and another USB is inserted, the application does not update the status and shows all the indicator balls as green. I've found the only way to reliably update a second USB is to have the application delete all SA data from the stick, and load everything from scratch.

HFMan

I don't have trouble with the app recognizing subsequent insertion of other USB sticks, so that's odd that this is happening to you. I do agree with the issues regarding Status bar and Activity Monitor- these have existed for years and have yet to be corrected. Obviously not a Dynon problem, but SA needs to fire their programmers and get some fresh blood to get things working correctly.