AOA best glide

henryhallam

Lancair 360 with SV-D1000 and SV-D700
The AoA display is very useful for safely making short-field approaches in my Lancair 360, since the wing stalls at the same AoA regardless of weight. Likewise, the wing provides best L/D at the same AoA regardless of weight. So potentially AoA could be a good sensor for knowing when you are at best glide speed in the event of an engine out (or even just trying to climb quickly or get the real best-economy speed in cruise).

I realize this might need better sensitivity and/or accuracy in the sensor than the existing critical AoA functionality. Does the sensor have what it takes, and if so could this be a future software feature? I'm thinking something like a special tick mark on the existing AoA indicator that shows the max L/D condition. Of course the calibration procedure would have to be extended.

skysailor

Really like this idea! Always flew a calibrated AOA gauge in the Navy and would love to be able to convert the current AOA display on the Skyview to show different settings.

tylerpattison

0x44 0x59 0x4e 0x4f 0x4e
Staff member
I would add that wind will also have an effect on the speed for maximum glide range. Headwinds will increase the speed, and tailwinds will reduce it.