AOA Calibration

jefvervoort

Trying to familiarize myself with the procedure, I have the following questions:

- as described in point 4, I suppose that we should do a " power on" stall to be developed from the fast cruise situation; is this correct ?
- Point 5 says: after the stall is complete, press STALL; should we press after the aircraft has stalled, or after the recovery to normal flight=fast cruise ?
- When one wishes to do the calibration for multiple configurations, is there a limit in time to be respected between the different stall exercises?

Thanks, Jef OO-156 RV9A

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
- You can do the stalls in any order. What you're really doing here is demonstrating different high AOAs so that the system can choose the lowest AOA of all of your stalls to alert on. In some aircraft, you actually need to leave one or more of the stalls out to get a good calibration if the AOAs in the different regimes are widely different.
- Recover, then press the button
- Nope. Recover to normal flight, press STALL, then go do another one if you want.

jefvervoort

Thank you for this clarification.

But just to be sure: do we stall the aircraft while in fast cruise condition (=75 % power), or with power off=throttle closed?

Thanks, Jef.

eddies

I did all my calibrations in the landing configuration;

Power off, no flaps, stall, recover
Power off, full flaps, stall, recover

Having said that I need to do them again as my stall warning starts to go off a little too soon.

Cheers
Eddie

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
What you're doing is using the fast cruise to demonstrated the aircraft's low AOA point, and then you do one or more stalls and recovery (pressing the stall button after each recovery) to demonstrate your aircraft's high AOA configurations. To perform the procedure with just one stall in landing configuration, do this:

1-Go into the AOA cal menu
2-Get to a fast cruise speed, do a couple of gentle pitch up and down maneuvers.
3-Do a power off stall in landing configuration. You don't need to do a deep stall. You want to get it to the point where you're getting your first indication of the stall
4-Recover back to normal flight.
5-Press stall
6-then finish.

You're done.

You can also add power on stalls and power off stalls in non-landing configuration, repeating steps 3-5 (these all have to be done in one calibration though. If you start over, you need to re-do everything). What this gets you is all of the aircraft's stalling points into the calibration.