AP Beta Testers where are you?

Brantel

OK, AP parts are being sold, time for the AP beta testers to start spilling the beans on how well the AP is working/interface/performance etc.

Please do tell!

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We've still got them holed up in our Undisclosed Location!

AP beta testers: As you know, we're fairly close to release. Please go ahead and feel free to offer your unfiltered opinions.

Ken_Kopp

i have the AP (with AP74) installed in my BD-4. I am very pleased
with its ability to do what it is supposed to do - reduce pilot
workload (but not eliminate it!).

with a decent gps you'll find TRK and NAV modes to be fantastic.
In my view HDG mode works good too but is highly dependent on
the quality of your EDC calibration and installation.

ALT hold took a few iterations but is now working like a champ.
last flight it held my alt +- 20ft for an hour in light turb and during
turns. Altitude capture from clmbs/descents results n a bit of
overshoot ~50ft but settles on altitude quickly.

i thought the efis interface worked great so having an AP74 is not a
must but it sure is nice!

a lot of work is on going with regard to tuning of the out-of-trim
indication but should nail that down soon.

installation and wiring are dynon standard dirt simple!

the latest versions updates te efis, 74 and all servos through
the dsab -very cool.

i prefer to call it an autoCOpilot though as you still need to trim,
change power and oher pilot tasks but for its intended purpose it
gets an 'A'. my only complaint is the robotic feminine voice but
thats just me.

Ken

Ken_Kopp

should have mentioned - you'll needto spend some time tuning
your servo torque and sensitivities to find your planes sweet spot
but is done easily during flight with a few efis button selections

N941WR

The items mentioned above go equally for the RV-9.

The installation, in particular the pitch servo, is best done when building but can be performed after the fact, as I did. I only say this because it requires the removal of the floor boards, working in the tail cone, and up under the panel is a pain. However, this is no different than installing any other autopilot and is not unique to Dynon. On the -9, installing the roll servo in the right wing is very easy at any time.

I highly recommend running the wires out to the right wing bell crank and back to the pitch bell crank behind the baggage compartment bulkhead and installing the pitch servo bracket during construction. More so if you think you might want an autopilot at some point in the future.

Total installed weight of two servos and the AP74 is less than five pounds, including the wiring. For those of us who are very concerned about weight, this is a very little penalty for the advantage of having a two axis autopilot.

Functionality of the Dynon autopilot is just outstanding and it is easy to learn and use.

Initially I flew the AP without the benefit of the AP74 and found it acceptable but the thing really shines when coupled with the AP74. The ability to dial in a heading, altitude, barometric pressure, etc. is well worth the minor additional cost of this unit.

In my installation, my sole means of navigation is a Garmin 496. The 496’s vertical navigation function is set to 500 FPM, as is the vertical navigation on the Dynon. The mix works out very nicely. When flying at altitude, the Garmin notifies the user when to begin the decent and a glide slope symbol is displayed on the left side of the artificial horizon. Just engage the desired altitude when the glide slope centers and the autopilot will fly you right down (or up) to the desired altitude. It will also fly any of the approaches in the 496 but you might have to manage the vertical navigation, still easy enough to do for this VFR pilot. (I am not encouraging anyone to fly IFR w/o the proper training and equipment but it is nice to know I can do it should I ever need to.)

The AP74 also has a 180 emergency about face button. (This also availble through the D10A/D100/D180 menu buttons.) This is a great feature for VFR pilots who blunder into a cloud, all they have to do is hit the button and the AP will get them back into the clear air they just left behind.

The screen interface is also very easy to use and understand. No one should have any issues learning how to use this autopilot. In particular, I like the trim indicator. This helps the autopilot fly the airplane as it tells the human pilot when to trim up or down, thus reducing drag.

Dynon has done a great job merging the EFIS and the autopilot into a simple, easy to use, intuitive, integrated system.

GlassGuy

Yes, its all true,  ::)with the auto pilot addition, Dynon has once again pulled off an amazing addition to their offering. What’s really cool about their products is that you can buy and install the individual components, one at a time, and they can be configured to play together as one complete integrated system. The auto pilot in the way it interfaces to the efis is dirt simple to connect and configure.  Once set up, the autopilot setting, flags and announceators will appear on your efis display. The auto pilot can be easily switched to simply follow the bugs, nav or GPS ground tack. The feature set is very well thought out and rich, for example, the CWS (control wheel steering)  mode is cool …you just hold the disconnect sick switch in and then let go when the airplane is where you want it and the auto pilot will hold it right there….this thing is a must for IFR , I just love flying my airplane VFR as it is so responsive, it’s just plain fun, but in the soup,  it’s a hand full,  It takes 100% of my concentration just to navigate and keep the greasy side down. If ATC ever asked me to copy an in flight clearance, I’d be upside down before I finished the read back. With the Dynon Auto Pilot engaged,  the platform so stable,  I can perform other cockpit tasks. It definitely has expanded the envelope of what I can do with the airplane

lgingell

I had the TruTrak Digitrack in my Zodiac.

Popping out the servo and installing the Dynon one was a breeze (and less wires). Adding the Dynon pitch servo was easy too, since they can all use the same wires!

Since the Dynon uses less wires, I didn't have to run any new wiring (even though I added a pitch servo). It was just a case of wiring the 'ends' in the panel and on the servo.

These things are so configurable. No digging into wiring to reverse pins etc, you can do it all in the comfort of your left seat. This is particularly useful on my airplane since pitch is much lighter than roll - and that's all software configurable. It takes a couple of short flights to get the settings how you like them.

The AP74 is a great addition for ease of AP use, although certainly not essential. If you can fit it in - do it. You can just 'dial' in an altitude and heading with a push and a turn and off it goes. The AP74's voice outputs (aka the "Dynon Lady") are nice too.

I have been VERY impressed with the performance of the Dynon AP in my Zodiac XL. A great product for a great price. No brainer.

..lance
Zodiac XL/Jabiru 3300/Garmin 296/Dynon D10A+D120+AP74+RDC10+SV32x2.

tommuller2000

I have an RV-9A that has been flying almost two years with the Dynon D100 & D120 and the Garmin 496.  The A/C is already painted, so I don’t want to have to rip up the right wing to get the servo installed.  You said the wing installation is easy at any time.  Am I to take it that the access panel allows enough room to put in the servo and your hands and tools during the process?  I have not yet ordered the servos and probably will not if I think installing through the access panel is beyond my ability.

Brantel

It is easy to install either the Dynon or TT autopilot servo in the wing of a 9A thru the hole. No need to open the skins of the wing.

N930RV

Tom,

I just did the install on my 9A a couple of weeks ago.  The installation went smoothly using only the access panel.  Just make sure that all of the parts are there before you start.  I didn't and had to fabricate a spacer/bushing and scrounge around for a missing bolt, which all added a little more time to complete the job.  The real pain was installing the bracket for the elevator control.

:)Bill