AP Panel offline

Janekom

I love flying!
Good day, RV7A of a friend with dual SV1000T screens. The AP Panel showed offline. I then had a look in under system status and it was indeed highlighted red and showing offline there as well. I have tried to detect it again, but now it is not in the list at all - gone. The way the network cables are wired is that if it is the network cable, the other units down stream should not show up, but they all do.

Do I now assume that this RV has a dead AP Panel? Your advice will be appreciated thank you.

Rhino

The network doesn't work like that. It's similar to ethernet. One bad unit doesn't take other units down. I'd start by verifying the wires and connectors are okay, and look for pushed pins. If cable length allows, just swapping network cables with another box might be a simple method to help focus your effort.

Janekom

I love flying!
Thank you Rhino. Just to clarify. As far as I can see the network cables are connected in the following sequence.
Cable #1 = Left Hand SV screen - to AP Panel top connector
Cable #2 = AP Panel bottom connector to 5 port hub
Then obviously the rest of the components from the hub.

I hear what you say, but struggle to understand that if it is cable #1 or two or the rest that everything will be online and working except for the AP Panel? Trying to learn here.

Rhino

There are three connectors. The DB-15 connector is not a network cable. It connects to various places. The two DB-9 connectors are for network cables. Only one network cable is necessary to add the panel to the network. The other is there to allow you to add additional network devices to the serial network. If you have only one DB-9 cable connected, that's the one connecting you to the network. If you have two DB-9 cables connected, the one that eventually traces back to the Skyview is what gets you on the network. It can go directly to the Skyview, to a hub, or to another device that also has two DB-9 network connectors.

Janekom

I love flying!
Yes Rhino that is how understand it as well. Thank you. I am fully familiar with the DB-15 and it's fuctions.

rleffler

I love flying!
Yes Rhino that is how understand it as well. Thank you. I am fully familiar with the DB-15 and it's fuctions.
So it appears that cable #1 is your issue. The network is four wires and then your have power and ground. If any of them are open, it could cause your symptoms. Pin outs are in the manual. I’m assuming as many RV’s you’ve built, you’ve already checked these.

is there another AP panel you can borrow to see if there is an issue with yours?

Rhino

Could you help by specifying which of the three connectors is 1 and 2 from your post above? You don’t need two network connections. There's no need to connect one network cable to the Skyview and the other to a hub unless you're using the autopilot to extend your serial network. So, I assume one of the cables above is the DB15, and the other is one of the DB9s, but you didn't identify them. A DB15 won't affect yor network, but a DB9 could.

Janekom

I love flying!
Closing the loop. It is not easy if the aircraft is not with you. With the aircraft available I have noticed that the network LED at the back is not flashing - it stays off. Just to make sure I have also swopped out cables. As I have thought it is the AP Panel itself that is faulty and Dynon is sending me a replacement. Thank you for your inputs.