Apollo 360 GPS

JetJockey

Has anyone had any luck hooking up an Apollo 360 GPS to the EFIS D10A to get the HSI output? It appears from the manual that it doesn't send all the NMEA sentences that the Dynon manual calls for even though the Apollo manual says it is NMEA 0183 v2.0 compliant.

lykowdk

NMEA v2.0 compliant refers to the structure of the data. It does not determine which data is coming out.

tomcat

NMEA v2.0 compliant refers to the structure of the data. It does not determine which data is coming out.
Did anyone determine if the apollo 360 was sending the right data .
thanks, tomcat :-?

JetJockey

Everything works as advertised except the GPS course indicator is locked at 360 degrees regardless of the route leg course. :( The CDI and all of the digitally displayed output is correct, however. I'm very disappointed that this feature is not working as expected. Hopefully the Dynon folks can find a fix for this.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
If someone can send us a capture of the stream from the 360 we should be able to tell you if it can work and probably change our software to make it work.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Here's the basic overview:

Run ground from your GPS to pin 5 on your serial port
Run data out from your GPS to pin 3 on your serial port.

Open hyperterminal (under accessories->communications in XP) and set it to the comm port that you are using. The speed will be whatever your GPS puts out, which is probbably 4800 or 9600. Turn off flow control.

If this goes right, you should see a stream of data on the screen that looks like repeating GPS info such as lat/long and speed. Then go to "transfer" and "capture text file". Save this for a few seconds and then send the file to us at support at dynonavionics.com. This should give us what we need to see if we can support it.

JetJockey

Thanks for the explanation. I'll get this information to you within the week. If it turns out not to be possible to automatically set the HSI course from the GPS data stream, could you make an option to set it manually from the panel since everything else seems to work fine, including the CDI? It is just that the course bar is locked at 360 degrees.

JetJockey

Dear Support.

I sent the Apollo 360 serial output file to you directly (support@dynonavionics.com) this morning. Please let me know if there is any workaround for the Course Selector issue. I know several other folks with the same problem that are using GPS brands other than Apollo.

Thank you very much.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
At this time, we unfortunately can not fully support this GPS as it does not
have the correct sentences to drive the OBS.
There is not even enough information to back derive the data coming out
of this unit.
It is possible that in a future revision of the firmware, the OBS value might be able to
be set manually if the GPS does not provide it.