Approaches in HDX

sglynn55

I Love Flying
Just started flying my RV-7A with HDX and have some questions. Sorry if these have been covered. Feel free to just reply with a link. First question is approaches. Does HDX map have "approaches?" I also have a Garmin 430 and I know how to activate approaches on it. Does HDX map do the same thing? Is there an approach plate or map that will show on screen including my position? Or is this what is available from a Jepp subscription. If I buy the Jepp data will it be just a map image or a data point approach that drives the HSI? thanks

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
SkyView does not currently have "approaches" in the digital data. However, if you have a Seattle Avionics subscriptions, you'll have geo-referenced approach plates, airport diagrams, and both VFR and IFR en-route charts.

Although digital Jeppesen data - which contains the airports, airspaces, and other information displayed on the map - is available by subscription for SkyView, most US customers download the free FAA data from our website, which has the same information in it (actually more, because we fold in the airport facilities directory information under the remarks tab of each airport)

johnsteichen

You. Need to understand how your systems work together Dynon skyview does not do approaches on their own even though it does have a great VFR nav program
The good news is that you have a garmin 430. If it has the WAAS upgrade it will do the approaches. You need a Dynon ARINC module so it will display the nav functions on your HSI ON THE EFIS. WITH THAT MODULE between the Garmin and the dynon.
Once you have it set up it will fly all ILS and all RVAN APPROACHES. LVP LNAV ETC
your autopilot will then fly all the approaches fully coupled with vertical nav.
You do the approaches off the menus in the bar in

Having said that, you can also get a subscription from Seattle avionics that will put approach plates on your map page and they are geo referenced with your aircraft on the approach plate
This works so good that I no longer pay ForeFlight extra for the geo referenced pro edition of ForeFlight
The combination of the farming with the synonym is awesome

sglynn55

I Love Flying
Ok, thanks for the quick reply. I do have the Garmin 430 coupled to HDX. It is not WAAS but I hope it will drive HDX in ILS, LOC, VOR and GPS approaches. I do keep it's data up to date. My Dynon uses the 2020 WAAS antenna.

I will go try it. Thanks

kellym

I love flying!
Ok, thanks for the quick reply.   I do have the Garmin 430 coupled to HDX.  It is not WAAS but I hope it will drive HDX in ILS, LOC, VOR and GPS approaches.  I do keep it's data up to date.    My Dynon uses the 2020 WAAS antenna. 

I will go try it. Thanks
You need to go into map setup and select flight plan sync with HSI nav source.  Your Garmin will then display on the moving map with magenta line derived from the 430 whenever you select Garmin for HSI nav source. However, you can only fly those approaches that are legal with non-WAAS GPS. Your Dynon 2020 GPS is only supplying the position for ADSB and driving the moving map display. It can't be used for approaches. If you have the autopilot servos, the HSI will drive them.

sglynn55

I Love Flying
All right, so please follow-on questions. I flew and tested. I did get the HSI set to receive Garmin data and that worked fine. What ever flight plan the Garmin 430 is showing it also shows on the HDX Map and the HSI shows it too. But two things:

1) I did an approach with step down altitudes and I thought that the HDX map would show the approach plate with the frequencies and profile data, but I didn't see it. Is this something I'd get if I buy the subscription to Jepp data? I guess as is I need to have the chart in paper on on iPad. Right?

and

2) I pressed OBS on the GNS 430 which lets me approach the way point on a vector. I thought the vector would be sent from the HDX HSI Heading back to the Garmin, but it wasn't. I had to enter the vector into the Garmin. Shouldn't the heading data set on the HDX read backwards to the GNS?

thanks

sglynn55

I Love Flying
All right, so please follow-on questions. I flew and tested. I did get the HSI set to receive Garmin data and that worked fine. What ever flight plan the Garmin 430 is showing it also shows on the HDX Map and the HSI shows it too. But two things:

1) I did an approach with step down altitudes and I thought that the HDX map would show the approach plate with the frequencies and profile data, but I didn't see it. Is this something I'd get if I buy the subscription to Jepp data? I guess as is I need to have the chart in paper on on iPad. Right?

and

2) I pressed OBS on the GNS 430 which lets me approach the way point on a vector. I thought the vector would be sent from the HDX HSI Heading back to the Garmin, but it wasn't. I had to enter the vector into the Garmin. Shouldn't the heading data set on the HDX read backwards to the GNS?

thanks

kellym

I love flying!
All right, so please follow-on questions.  I flew and tested.  I did get the HSI set to receive Garmin data and that worked fine.  What ever flight plan the Garmin 430 is showing it also shows on the HDX Map and the HSI shows it too.  But two things:

1)  I did an approach with step down altitudes and I thought that the HDX map would show the approach plate with the frequencies and profile data, but I didn't see it.  Is this something I'd get if I buy the subscription to Jepp data?  I guess as is I need to have the chart in paper on on iPad.  Right?

and

2) I pressed OBS on the GNS 430 which lets me approach the way point on a vector.  I thought the vector would be sent from the HDX HSI Heading back to the Garmin, but it wasn't.  I had to enter the vector into the Garmin.  Shouldn't the heading data set on the HDX read backwards to the GNS?

thanks

The only way to get the approach plate to display on your Dynon is to subscribe to the Seattle Avionics charts (NACO..NOT JEPPESON). Cost is $99 a year, and you need a USB drive of 16 GB or larger to hold the charts. There is a recommendation on the Seattle Avionics page that will get you very good, very small flash drives for around $10.
That subscription gets you sectionals, Low and Hi enroutes and all approach plates. They are all geo-referenced, so they show your position on the chart. Your 430 should be good for all VOR, ILS, Loc approaches and all non-precision GPS approaches. To get WAAS minimums you would have to upgrade it to WAAS. I don't know how much longer Garmin will do those updates. I'm not sure if Dynon OBS settings are back fed to the Garmin.